Opinions/suggestions for LGM talk

H!

I’ve started to put together some slides for my PhotoFlow presentation at LGM in London, and I would like to get some opinions/suggestions from people out there that are more used than me at this kind of presentations.

I’ve prepared dozens of talks in my life, but all focused on scientific topics, and I’ve no experience Katy all with the “graphics” audience…

So here is a preview. What do you think? What should I focus on in your opinion? Features? Concrete examples?

Thanks!

Maybe some suggestions :

• Slide#1 : Add your name, date, event name and location. These slides will be probably re-used on your website later, so it’s always nice to know the context of the slides before reading them.
  • Before Slide#2, I’d add a slide about the context of the software development. What are the goals of the software, what problems it tries to solve, what are the nearest alternative (open-sourced or not). In a word, why did you started the development, and which what vision of the product in mind.
  • Just see that it is planned for a slide appearing after :slight_smile: That slide should be probably moved at the beginning of the talk. It’s always important to get the main idea before entering the details of the interface or of the software features.
  • Illustrating the main software features with demos and examples is a pretty cool idea. That is entertaining and representative at the same time. I hope you will add other examples in the presentation.

One slide about the Conclusions / Perspectives would be also nice (but I suppose your slides are not entirely done yet).

That looks promising by the way ! :clap:

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle Hi David, thanks a lot for the very quick feedback!

I entirely buy your suggestion to move the “motivations” slide at the beginning, you are perfectly right saying that the why should come before the what to correctly introduce the context.

The title slide is just a first draft, I’ll definitely add may name and the name, date and place of the meeting.

Concerning examples, what I have in mind is:

• an overview of the RAW processing tools
  • a simple illustration of RGB curves
  • and illustration of the optical and perspective corrections
  • an overview of the various options to generate layer opacity masks
  • an example of G’MIC filter, maybe the film emulation presets… I still have to decide

In fact, my idea would be to have much more illustrations and examples than written text. Itemised lists are so boring… :wink:

I’m quite impatient actually to see the stream video of your talk, I hope there will be one :slight_smile:

Good question… I’ve been trying to find presentations (slides and video recordings) on the LGM2015 site with so success.

What about adding some information about you in the beginning, at least I would be interested to hear a bit about the guy that is talking to me. Even if a brief bio is given by the session chair/anchorman, you could give some details on your slides, especially since the project is strongly bound to your person. E.g. where you live, what your profession is, what your photographical interests are and then why you decided to start a new project, leading to the motivation/feature list.

This is just my personal opinion/expectation, I never attended a LGM and therefore have even less experience, but I think this suggestion is valid.

Furthermore, \setbeamertemplate{navigation symbols}{}, I find them quite distracting, and unless you are going to use them …

Is there a built-in Q&A? If not, then one thing might be to explicitly ask for suggestions from attendees afterwards. For instance I’m sure among the audience there will be real experts in UI and in plenty of other areas. Some of them can probably give you quite valuable feedback about your application design.

Perhaps before the conference ends, you can also round up some novice users to use your application without you guiding them about what to do, so you can see any difficulties the users might have using your application. I’m curious to know if a novice user can easily distinguish the three layer-related toolbar buttons from the other toolbar buttons, given they’re neither grouped together nor apart from the rest.

You are absolutely right, and that’s one of the reasons I have for going there.

I hope there will be a chance to do something like that, as it would be really instructive!

That’s another good advice, thanks!

All of @David_Tschumperle’s points are spot-on.

If it helps, don’t forget that we are trying to assemble assets to help people create presentations on the github repo. Maybe there will be some things there to help you!

Also, my working outline for ideas (man I’m really late at getting my presentation together), is here:

I wanted to approach it from a very high-level overview, covering areas of most interest to the audience.

• Motivation
    I felt was important to describe the domain of the problem and the desire/need to produce a solution.

• History
    What came before and how it worked in context of the Motivation.

• State
    What was the state of the area being approached (and how it coincided with Motivation).

• Proposed Solution
    How I thought a solution could be created

• Implementation
    How the solution I proposed was implemented

• Modifications
    Changing course from feedback to tailor the solution better

• Results
    How did it seem to work out?

• Looking Forward
    Further work or future path details.

I know this seems like a lot of information, but often some things can be combined down into a single slide or two for brevity (motivation + history + state for example).

Also, this is a great looking start! :slight_smile:

As an aside, here’s the “State of the Libre Graphics” slides I submitted:

There’s an .svg there you are more than welcome to steal stuff from!

Slides and videos from LGM 2014 are in the program, I couldn’t find anything from last year.

2015 there were only some videobootlegs.
They are not much, but therefor the audio is also bad. :wink:
I hope this year someone is filming it with better equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/user/davelab6com/videos?nohtml5=False

I’ve just watched the presentation from Andrea on PhotoFlow.
Man, that was really great ! Really dynamic and comprehensive presentation !
You have a fan here in Caen / France :slight_smile: !

Thanks David! I’m really glad you liked it!

1 Like

I’ve just watched Pat as well, and that was really good too.
Seems that people on pixls have some talent for presenting stuffs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Flattery will get you everywhere! :wink:

Unfortunately I’ve not been able to watch the live streamed events. Are the talks also going to go up on YouTube as regular videos?

1 Like

I want to thank @patdavid and all the other cool people that were in London yesterday and that warmly welcomed me in the PIXLS.US apartment!

Pat has been a perfect host, and even if I only could stay one short day it has been so great to meet in person many of the FL/OSS developers with which I’ve been discussing during that past couple of years.

Putting a real face on top of a nickname and talking with people face to face is always an enriching experience!

2 Likes

Are there pictures of the last night party in the appartment with the naked dancers somewhere?? :smiley:

2 Likes