Orange is the new white - but black is still black...

In the recent past I’ve learnt alot technically about processing highlights from others via “Raw Play” - so thank you.

Something a little different for the weekend - how would you make what is effectively a two-tone sunset image creatively interesting?

My attempt - at a two tone sunset image. My creativity only stretched to cropping tight and letter boxing in the main character. Would you do something different? Its kinda a nice enough image - but its a bit square. :-/

1X1A5522.CR3 (15.8 MB)

1X1A5522.CR3.xmp (14.1 KB)

This work is licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Ops - sorry - forgot the RAW - now uploaded...
7 Likes

Think you forgot the raw…

One comment I would make is that DT often produces an unpleasant salmon color in sunset shots. One of many solutions to avoid this is to disable filmic and use the sigmoid module and move the preserve hue slider to the left. This produces a result that is more pleasing for me. And yes there are ways of handling the salmon color in filmic.

1 Like

My best effort… nice photo!

1X1A5522_01.CR3.xmp (18.5 KB)

Not quite two tone now…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great shot and thanks for posting. My attempt in ART 1.20.

edit: attach the correct file.

1 Like

Thansk for posting
darktable 4.2.1

1X1A5522_01.CR3.xmp (14.7 KB)

1 Like

My version…

1X1A5522.CR3.xmp (18.5 KB)

5 Likes

16:9 & color grading

1X1A5522.CR3.xmp (11,1 KB)

7 Likes

When I open this .cr3 in Filmulator it has a heavy magenta cast. Also the histogram looks strange (see the attached screenshots).
Filmulator is my normal “goto” for RAW images and usually produces excellent results.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Filmulator_view

Histogram

Looks a bit like wrong black levels or something - I’m no expert though!
I think @CarVac might be the right person to ask? :slightly_smiling_face:

I heard the other day that NASA add an orange filter to their Mars photos to make them look more Martian(?):

(at 17:40)

Maybe I should change the title to: “Orange is the new white - black may not be black…”?

1 Like

Or…Where did the orange go??? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for your version. I find your version quite appealing. What was your technique for colour grading. What did you use as your reference?

Thanks for your version. That is a good question - your version is more bronze than orange or yellow. It also seems to have a lot more detail in the rail, earth wall and sky. I will need to to study your xmp.

I didn’t use any reference.

I introduced a hint of orange in the shadows and significant amount of blue in the highlights:

grading

2 Likes

@123sg You were correct - I had to move the black clipping point a long way up in Filmulator.

My play in GIMP.

2 Likes

Orange - what orange?

I couldn’t resist playing with my new colour cast reduction plug-in.

1 Like

Hello,
here’s my proposal, hoping I haven’t pushed the cursors too far.
I’ve kept the original framing of the shot, I’ve just straightened the horizon line a bit.
I first processed the image in black and white, then colorized it in orange using the colorize module.

1X1A5522.CR3.xmp (18.7 KB)
Dartable Master 4.5.
Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like

Thanks for your version. Which application will the “new colour cast reduction plug-in” be available in?

Thanks for your version. That is a very interesting way of processing an image. I hadn’t thought of processing in black & which first. Will have to try your method.

1 Like

RawTherapee Automatic => Temp. Correc. and GIMP Shadows-Highlights

2 Likes