Ordering of RAW+JPG pairs

In the light table view, when there are RAW+JPG pairs of the same photo is it possible to set the display order for the thumbnails so that RAW (or JPG) are always first, regardless of the camera?

I ask because I currently have them sorted by filename. My Fuji’s RAWs are .RAF. My Ricoh GR’s RAWs are .DNG. So for Ricoh they sort as DNG before JPG and for Fuji they sort as JPG before RAF.

It’s a minor point but I’d like to maintain the order (one way or the other) when switching from one camera’s files to another.

Lee

I wrote a lua script to adjust that for someone else. Let me find it, and I’ll attach it.

change_group_leader.zip (1.3 KB)

Add it to your lua scripts in the contrib directory and then either start it using script_manager or require it in your luarc file. It adds a module just below the selected images module. Pick the type of image for the group leader, select the groups, and apply it.

1 Like

Bill
Thanks for the reply and the script. It has involved a bit of learning for me as I have installed lua and can see your script_manager script etc. So that’s good.

Your change_group_leader script seems to work, in that it does change the group leader but this does not change the ordering of the thumbnails as displayed in the light table view, unless I am missing something - which is quite likely as I am a DT novice!

I see that DT docs suggest that the group leader will be denoted by a “G” on the thumbnail but I can’t seem to get that to display, so it’s not obvious which image is the leader …

Lee

Instead of a G it’s the round circle with the 4 dots. It’s bold on the group leader and not on the members. Clicking it on one of the members, makes that member the group leader. I don’t think changing the group leader changes the display order when the group is expanded. When the group is collapsed, then the leader is displayed for the group.

Ok, I get all of this except I do not see that symbol any bolder for the group leader. If I hover over the symbol it tells me which is the leader.

Thanks
Lee

You are correct. That’s why I should check it instead of relying on my memory :laughing:

I’ll also raise an issue with the manual guys about changing the grouping documents

Bill

For anyone passing this way in future, I’ve just discovered that (in darktable 4.4) you can choose what to “sort by” (in the bar above the thumbnails when you’re in the lighttable view).

I’ve had it set to sort by filename by default, but while investigating grouping, I’ve noticed that sorting by group is equivalent to sorting by filename except for the fact that it puts the group leader first.

There may be more to group based sort than this, but the above is what I’ve just observed, and thought it worth sharing.

1 Like