OS decisions: Apple, Linux, or Windows? (Cake and eat it as well)

I highly recommend to look at one of those “refurbishers” in your area or country. My family and I always buy two or three year old Lenovo ThinkPads that come out of a leasing-contract. They are basically half the price or less, come with fresh batteries and a one year warranty.

For example a P52 15" with 32 GB and a 1 TB SSD is right now available for under a grand. The Pro line from Lenovo is bullet-proof. Two years old is NOTHING for a laptop that was close to 4000.- when new.

And then you put ubuntustudio on it (perfect distro for multimedia, photography and audio - especially with Ardour already correctly set-up and routed)

2 Likes

Where do you live? Just a curiosity as those seem like great deals.

I live in France, but I buy my Laptops in Germany because I am German and I don’t want a French keyboard.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m from Portugal and probably can also benefit from those deals.

This link in your post is $1700 plus… a very similar one at newegg without even looking hard is 1300

Also the hardrive on the one you linked is really quite small at 256 GB… and no discrete graphics… if you are using this for media you really should invest in a machine with dedicated graphics gpu.

The link I sent you on the legion line in my previous reply is the type of machine that will offer the performance that you need… IMO

1 Like

No! … 8" discs were the precursor of the 5 1/4" by a long shot.

2 Likes

Whitehorse, Yukon

Great info about discrete graphics. I have that link up and am studying it.

I guess it should have been two words:

• BT: Bluetooth
  • W10 Pro: Windows 10 Professional

you can - you just need to spend the extra 50 for a Portuguese keyboard (try ebay locally). ESM sends all over the EU.

1 Like

Are you acccounting for CDN prices? $1700 = ca. $1300US.

This local shop offers refurbished. I had thought to avoid them and just go whole-hog-new because this present old HP ProBook and the desktop I don’t use are both refurbs from the local NGO Computers For Schools. They take in vast amounts of previous government computers–large amounts of Dell, also HP, etc.–and try and keep them in use for those who can’t or don’t want to afford new things. My two MacBook Pros were great for years and years, so I don’t mind buying new … Here’s their refurbished-laptop link: TrinitiTech refurb’d Lenovos

This one is 1750 CDN with 1.5 TB 2 disks SSD 32GB Ram and a bright screen… 400 to 500 nits…

Ryzen processor with 19000 benchmark so quite a bit faster than many of the older 9th 10th and 11 gen intel stuff that you find in laptops still…

Not sure what your price point is…but given the one offered by @beachbum was 1000 Euros so around 1350 cdn…the extra 400 bucks CDN would be worth it to me… I am also not suggesting exactly that this is my pick as you can come up with many configurations but I would certainly find something with discrete graphics for media work …you won’t regret it…

I got a backup computer for $300 CDN but it was only slightly newer than my ancient laptop. :stuck_out_tongue:

In general, technology is so expensive in Canada (at least for my price-sensitive self). Once we add tax and environmental fees, the price goes even higher. :frowning:  One benefit that may come from COVID-19 is that the old stock has or will be depleted soon so retailers have less of an opportunity to sell ancient hardware at full or marked up prices.

Both CAD if you are talking about my comment…so the newegg link is a similar variant to the 1700 dollar one you offered up from Trinity …so both CAD numbers…and I made the assumption from your link that you would then pay that amount ie the 1700 odd dollars and so I presented the Legion series laptops as being in that price range and offering more in the way of features…if that explains what I was trying to post…

Environmental fees on a computer… of all the polluting things :laughing: It ain’t much better here, we pay a tax for the potential of having pirated content on any storage device… so every camera, pc, disk, mobile phone etc, has that tax with an upper limit of around 20€. I see this as a green card to pirate things, as they already make me pay the tax beforehand. Of course I still support living artists I like and feel like they deserve the money.

The same ‘piracy tax’ is used in Hungary, too (maybe in all of the EU?). Plus, the VAT (sales tax) is 27%.

1 Like

LOL - That is funny. I am guessing the money never reaches the actual creators. That is how our taxes and fees work. Government mismanages it, uses it for itself or “loses” it to a third party.

Controversy happens without any political ramifications, money is never seen or spoken of again. On top of that, we get billed extra for someone’s failure. E.g.:

• We had a utility fee (for 2 decades?) to cover the losses of a bankrupt private energy contractor: it was called a “debt retirement” charge. At least it was an item on the invoice…

• Our province constructed and sold a highway (freeway) to a third party. It has a toll, is manicured, largely unused and doesn’t support public interests, while other highways are falling apart, under endless construction and the most congested in all of North America!

• Now, we plan on building a highway to nowhere. Too bad though, our province had the lowest election turnout in history! Apparently, no one cares.

Where the taxes and fees go, no one knows. If only they were used as advertised. In Canada, we are known for our public spaces and services, in contrast to the States, but slowly and surely, governments are selling capital, goods and services to private entities with the promise that they will be in better hands and offset risk, when the exact opposite is true.

In sum: we cannot have cake and eat it, unless one is an insider. That is how the world works. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes