Panasonic DC-G9 is not recognized as Camera despite it's include in camconst.json

Hello,
I’m using Panasonic DMC-GH3 and Panasonic DC-G9. The GH3 camera is recognised in Rawtherapee 5.7, the G9 not - see screenshot

You can see in the upper left corner the camera model and in the lower right corner, that the model is not shown / recognised, despite the model is listed in the camconst.json file.

Here is the link to this raw file:
https://fodoh.info/Panasonic_DC-G9.zip

This happens not only with this raw file, but with others as well.

My environment:

• Panasonic DC-G9 with latest firmware (2.0). With the version before, the problem was the same.

• Rawtherapee 5.7
    Version: 5.7
    Branch: 5.7
    Commit: f335efe6a
    Commit date: 2019-09-10
    Compiler: cc 9.2.1
    Processor: x86_64
    System: Linux
    Bit depth: 64 bits
    Gtkmm: V3.24.2
    Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
    Build type: release
    Build flags: -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -Werror=return-type -flto=auto -g -std=c++11 -Werror=unused-label -Wall -Wuninitialized -Wcast-qual -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-result -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O3 -DNDEBUG -ftree-vectorize
    Link flags:
    OpenMP support: ON
    MMAP support: ON

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Linux bond 5.3.12-2-default #1 SMP Thu Nov 21 07:21:43 UTC 2019 (a6f6081) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you for your support.

Moin, @Nordschleife and welcome!

I have checked your photo, using the most recent versions of Rawtherapee and of darktable.
Both of them recognize your camera.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Schweden

Hello @Claes

thank you for testing. Which versions exactly have you tested and what is your operating system?

Carsten

darktable 3.1.0+299~g40c7be068
RawTherapee 5.7-374-g898527732
Manjaro/KDE

MfG
Claes

hello Nordschleife,
With me and my RT, the camera is recognized correctly, even with your photo. See screenshot.
Coloru%20Management%20DC-G9

I will send you the profile, which is included in RT.
Panasonic DC-G9.dcp (1.1 MB)

We can talk extensively about the development of the rw2 from Panasonic DC-G9, because it is also my camera.

Schöne Grüße
Michael

1 Like

In your first post you are providing a screenshot of the lens correction and not of camera correction.

There are two different corrections:

As I see in your screenshot of the lens correction, automatic is checked, so it seems that the camera was recognised by lensfun.

• first verification : click on keine. if there is a visible difference it’s ok. click on automatic.
  • second verification: click on the “down arrow” at the right of “camera”. You should get long list of makers. choose panasonic and then search for your camera.
    if your camera is present, select it. But I don’t know why it is not displayed.
    if your camera is not present your database is not up to date. You should update your database, but I cannot help you on linux.
    Until lensfun database is updated, choose any 4/3 camera as only the crop factor is used.
1 Like

Hello @micha,

thank you for looking into my thread. The color management in your RT looks the same than in my RT - that’s good news.
I’m interested in your experience with RT and G9. Could you please do me a favour and develop my pictures and provide me with the PP3 file (in the answer to this post)?

Schöne Grüße,
Carsten

Hello @gaaned92,
thank you for looking in my thread. Here are the answers:

• first verification: there is no visible difference. A visible difference happens when I activate the automatic correction of the distortion.
  • second verifiction: a long list of manufacturers appears. When I click on Panasonic the my camera is not shown.

I just updated the lensfun database.

The lensfun site does not show my camera as supported.

Nevertheless, it looks like my distribution doesn’t have the most recent versions. I will download directly myself and test again.

Hallo @Nordschleife,
here is a development and the corresponding pp3.
P1044973_RT_M.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)
With such a motif there would be many different variations - each would have its justification.
Because it is an extreme situation, it is not ideal for learning RT. If you feel like it, we can make further attempts with a more normal picture.
Michael

1 Like

ART_fRrwn3DT7Z

In my post above I was just describing “profiled lens correction”
You can also use" Distortion Correction" in absence of profiled lens correction.
RT uses the embedded jpg that is corrected inside your camera to compute a correction and apply it. If distortion is not too complex (barrel or pincushion), it is satisfying.
Don’t use the both corrections togather.

It’s not that straightforward so for updating the lensfun DB, the normal way is to use the lensfun-update-data script.
In timestamp.txt, you will find a number which increases with updates.
time stamp from my last lensfun update is 1577948414.
I am sorry that I cannot really help you on Linux.

1 Like

Hello @gaaned92,
I used lensfun-update-data which is also available for Linux:

*carsten@bond:/var/lib/lensfun-updates/version_1> more timestamp.txt *

And my camera is not shown in the lens profile section and there is now a visible difference using “non” or “automatically”. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Best regards,
Carsten