Panasonic G9 green cast

Hi

I have this odd case where a few photos, normal size and high-res with my Panasonic G9 ended up with quite a significant green cast from RawTherapee, while others of the same scene and lens but slightly different composition did not exhibit this. The out of camera jpgs were also fine. Using Adobe DCP profiles exhibit the same thing.

Here is a google drive folder with the RAW and jpg files. I tried with RawTherapee 5.8 release and nightly builds. I normally use RT, but I also did a quick check in Darktable which also had a bit of a cast and Filmulator which did not exhibit the problem.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Prx-tE1wqiL1dCoVGHeBZSbn_cCr05l8

The best result I got was to add 14 to both green channels in the Raw Black Points section in RT.

The raw file with the green cast:
P1000191.RW2

RawTherapee defaults:

Out of camera:

With green +14 in Raw Black Points:
P1000191_RT_green14.JPG

This file did not show the green cast:
P1000194.RW2

It looks like a potential software issue?

Where?

Apologies. I added the folder to the main article: Green Cast – Google Drive

1 Like

Should I maybe open an issue on github?

I just processed the file with a “Neutral” profile, “White Balance” >camera, “RCD Bilinear” and a +2.33 “Raw White Point”. It looks very close to your out of camera photo above. I’m using the latest dev from Andre’ RTW64NightlyBuilds/ – Keybase.pub

Thanks, I appreciate you trying this, but the one you posted is from the file that does not exhibit the problem.
This one has the green cast: P1000191.RW2
This one doesn’t: P1000194.RW2

I should mention my 5.8 release is the latest from the Ubuntu 20.04.3 repositories and the nightly (which hasn’t changed in a while) is this one: RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2995-g166538d_20210614.AppImage from https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/releases/tag/nightly

I upgraded darktable from 3.0 something to 3.6.1 and it no longer exhibits this issue.

In looking at why filmulator does not exhibit this issue I found this commit related to black points and Panasonic cameras:

I compiled RawTherapee from source, removed the pp3 file and that also exhibited the issue

I processed P1000191.RW2 the same way as the previous one I did. Here is the result. .

Ah it also displays the green cast, thanks @stuntflyer at least it rules out local environment…

There was a problem with greencasts and (some) Panasonic, as you discovered yourself.

Filmulator discovered it because it started to use Metadata that rawtherapee uses, and the problem cropped up.

I have the same problem with some dng files where I have to set the blackpoint manually with exiftool (but not Panasonic related).

I would be very surprised if this isn’t fixed in rawtherapee, but then you really have to compile master. You sure you checked out the correct branch?

Otherwise cresting a github issue somewhere seems like the right thing to do. The wordt that can happen is that you are pointed to the fact that it indeed has been fixed somewhere, the best that can happen is that they didn’t know it yet and you helped :).

It seems that different (generations of) Panasonic cameras need different logic to find the black point. In darktable, a fix that solved G9 issues broke the LX7. See:

Thanks @jorismak

I am slow to add issues onto github, and so try to exhaust forums first. But you’re right, they can just say it is fixed already or wontfix or whatever else the developers view may be.

I used the dev branch.

$ git status
On branch dev
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/dev'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

Interesting, thanks @kofa

It’s a bit tricky this (only a bit :P).

I tried search Filmulator’s code, but I can’t even ‘find’ the commit you linked. If I search for panasonic or ‘black point’ or something, I don’t find that commit (apparently it does not search in commit-description ?!).

Looking at the code, it seems he added (back) support for reading black-points from the camconst file (camconst is a series of values Rawtherapee uses to determine stuff like white level and black level per camera model).

This code seems to have always been there on rawtherapee’s side, so I don’t know if it’s a bug in Rawtherapee or not. Could maybe just be a case of needing an updated camconst.json file.

I would make an issue, and if you’re nice, you add a section with ‘might be related’ and then link to the earlier darktable change, and the filmulator commit. And then also add a line like ‘but this might have broke things’ and link to the issue that Kofa gave you.

This way you don’t send them on a search, but they (Rawtherapee dev’s) can have a clearer picture if this is already OK or something new and which path to take forward.

As I understand it github only indexes and searches the primary branch. In this case the commit was the last one on the noisereduction branch and I am using the filmulator download that has noisereduction, I am not 100% sure this commit is in that release candidate build though. Just thinking it might be…

I was planning on adding an item just as you described it. Linking all the “might be related” bits…

Thanks for your time…