Park. Autumn. day. Beauty.

Man, I love this program more and more! )

My version…

GIMP 2.1024 and Lab

4 Likes

Hope you don’t mind a fake IR. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:slight_smile:
I’ll have to find that tree ]]]

1 Like

@EsTaF Your image has some issues:

I’m aware of that. But there’s a lot to fix, and not just on the details. What now.
You can go on and on with one picture forever, but it’s better to move on.
Thank you for noticing this problem.

Just wondering how that came to be. Your OP image had minor but centred fringing. This one had longer shifted fringes and speckles on darker surfaces. Since you shared edits from two different apps, it begs the question. Obviously, you are more at home with DaVinci Resolve and that is okay.

Anyway, this is a good photo for the PlayRaw. Thanks for sharing. As we have already seen, many people are having fun and doing different things with it!

My quick version

_MG_6822.dng.xmp (15.1 KB)

1 Like

My version:

_MG_6822.dng.xmp (20.7 KB)
Darktable 3.9.0+1362~ga1de270c4

The previous result was due to the file kodak2383.
The converter from rec.709 to cineform decoding space is put, because that loot on the input expects cineform. The loot itself automatically encodes the picture back to rec.709 on the output. This is not the point. Before all this joy, we correct the material as usual. 3dlut 2383 itself is corrected by setting a node already behind it. A kind of virtual editing.
The point of the file is that it removes some parasitic shades - brings them to the Itten approach. Some of the tints are darkened, and so on.
And in the case of darktable, I did everything by hand, and the idea was not to bring everything to the picture, as in the first case.
This volumetricity was obtained through the luma vs hue effect. A set of color zones.
I know Davinci Resolve since 2011. When Final Cut Studio on mac os died. Apple users got some childish Final Cut X and they all scattered))) Some went to Adobe Premiere, some to Avid Studio, and some to davinci Resolve. Well, I ran away to davinci resolve )))

I uninstalled mac os, put up windows and want to dive completely into the darktable program. Until I completely decide whether it’s mine or not, it’s too early to draw conclusions.
And a big plus would be the fact that the people who work with this program are more lively or something. The community of the top programs is usually more decentralized. Or rather, not for top programs, but for programs that everyone hears about. And the community around any project is a very important point. When people are together, you can learn a lot.
Plus, I judge a program by the users around such a program.
Initially, I didn’t focus much on this program - that was 10 days ago ))) Until I got to this forum.

Yes. It’s very telling about the life around opensource graphics processing programs. Not everywhere you meet something like this among programs like davinci resolve, Photoshop, 3dlut Creator. Although 3dlut creator users used to have contests, but only on Russian internet resources.
They did as. posted a picture and who wins the contest, receives the program for free. Contests conducted by the authors of the program. They were held every week. Likes in social network vkontakte )). For about 4 years, they were held every week. And then the author gave up on the program, switching to the development of retouch4me - a program to automatically remove pimples from people’s faces using neural networks. When they make dolls out of people))) And everything stopped.

I talked a lot with Davinci users. These are both videographers and ordinary users. If you take the so-called elite users, their motto is very simple - use basic tools. “Don’t be seduced by contrived tools - it will drag you into the thick of things. Don’t do any of those fucking effects. Just lift, gamma and gain rings - learn to do beauty with them. they can do it a lot better when you’re working with a ton
of super tools.” Well, I mean, they are - a lot of things are in davinci. But learn to work with the simplest ones.
Quotes me one person who works at davinci resolve. Anton Meleshkevich:
“About the limitation to one node - Only master rings and rgb curves.
The essence of this limitation is to learn to solve the problem in broad strokes. A conscious limitation of infinite possibilities that tempts to solve the problem in a way that is not efficient, but still time-consuming and non-universal.”
“You need to figure out how the image goes from the camera, to the files, and then from the monitor to your eyes. This is the bare minimum necessary.”
“To understand what should look like and where on the analyzer, download trailers of expensive movies of famous directors from YouTube or screenshots from movies and throw them into the Davinci. And watch it on the analyzer. Yes, trailers and screenshots are not identical to the movies themselves, but the difference is within the “creative vision”, so it’s good enough for understanding.
And always look in the references for the light in the frame. Almost always what you would want to do on the color shot is done on the set with the light in the reference. It is very important to see that.”
“If you decide to download the SCENE instead of individual clips, try to load the built-in davinchy lut rect709 codec 2383 d60 into the timeline node.
And then use only rings, offsets, contrast, pivot and saturation for each clip in one node. I don’t mention curves deliberately here, because you already have curves in your lut, among other things.
There are historical reasons for this (google release print film) and pedagogical reasons. This loot will give you the color palette you need. And the limitation of the toolbox will force you not to make beginner’s mistakes.
It’s not the most “right” use of the lut, but it should help at this stage. Help you feel the power of the above tools.”

Well, this is roughly the concept of the guys who already work in davinci for a commercial audience.

1 Like

One does not simply “feel” darktable, one must understand at least a little about the process:

That article is a couple of years old now and some modules have been updated, but the basic premise remains.

@EsTaF Thanks for sharing. It is good to learn about your background and thoughts.

This is my first post to this forum so please warn me if if I step out of line…

Briefly, this is what I did:
1 DxO for lens correction and denoise
2. Tonemap with SNS-HDR
3. Photoshop > Gradient filter to brigten foreground > remove overhead cabe;
4. Replace sky in Luminar Neo

1 Like

Welcome…the only comment I would make is the forum is about FOSS not commercial products. There are comparisons and references to those products in some posts but many don’t own or have access to them so edits done purely with commercial products are likely considered off topic unless it is somehow related to a discussion that includes a particular FOSS application

5 Likes

One of those images that really did not need to be mucked about with. Very nice!

@Stiga Welcome to the forum!

It is okay to post non-FLOSS (free/libre open-source software) content as long as you try to use FLOSS apps to demonstrate your vision of processing or it leads to a fruitful discussion about it.

As @priort noted, using non-open software shuts down the conversation for those who don’t have access to the same ones as you do. Does that make sense?

That said, we are glad you could participate in your own way. Hope you enjoy your stay.

4 Likes

By the way, I did not understand from the article (probably inattentive), filmic rgb works in a linear scale, or not. In that article, it sort of says only 4 instruments that work in a linear scale:

1. exposure
  2. white balance
  3. channel mixer
  4. tone equalizer (which is linear in parts).

oh wow you actually use Davinci for editing photos?

Excuse me. It won’t happen again.