Partha's Win and OSX GIMP builds now with PhotoFlow plug-in

As you most likely know, Partha Bagchi regularly provides pre-compiled packages of the GIMP development version for Windows and OSX.

Some time ago, Partha agreed to try incorporating the GIMP plug-in version of PhotoFlow in his builds, and now it is finally there!
If you install the latest versions of his packages, PhF will be launched whenever you try to open a RAW image in GIMP. The PhF plug-in provides the same flexibility and set of tools of the stand-alone version, so you can use curves, masks, B&W conversions and so on directly on the processed RAW image.
Once you are satisfied and you hit the OK button, the result is sent back to GIMP in 32-bits floating point format, taking full advantage of the high-bit-depth capabilities of GIMP 2.9

Screenshot taken from Partha’s website

The plug-in is still rather experimental, so do not hesitate to report any issues you might encounter.
A known problem is that many of PhotoFlow’s G’MIC tools do not work properly under OSX. They will be removed until a proper solution to the problem is found.
This only affects the G’MIC tools that are built-in into photoflow, and not the G’MIC GIMP plug-in that is shipped with Partha’s packages.

Any feedback is really appreciated!

3 Likes

Is there a plugin (like gimp-gmic or gimp -ufraw) available yet for Linux? I mean, already compiled, and either available as a .deb or vis PPA?

If not, are there any plans?

Cheers.

Thorsten Stettin has an “experimental” photo flow package in his gimp-edge PPA which provides the plugin in addition to the standalone application. However the version is a bit old… I plan to drop a message here as soon as he has updated the package.

Hello everyone,

Just tried to download this new PhotoFlow plugin on my system (Windows 7 - 64 bit) in order to give you some feedback.
Unfortunately, I am unable to do so because this new build is not clearly “listed” on the Partha’s Web-page. Therefore, I can not select it to download it…

In the end, from this Partha’s web-page, I have downloaded the Gimp 2.9.3 64 bit Experimental portable version and I have tried to open some Nef - Dng images but PhotoFlow is not available with this portable Gimp version.

On the left-side of this web-page (Downloads links) there is not any mention about PhotoFlow (only Gimp, Darktable, Inkscape are mentioned…)

Sorry for the dumb question…

I only tested the osx version myself so far, but I would guess you should select one of the first options as you did… have you tried with the non-portable one?

Otherwise I’ll need to ask Partha for some advice.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Just tried also the standard version (Gimp 2.9.3 64-bit Experimental version), that is the first one available on the upper left-side of the Partha’s web page.
I have installed this version on my Windows 7 - 64 bit computer.

Once again I have tried to open many Raw images, both NEF and DNG ones.
They are all opened without ever launching PhotoFlow…
In essence, I can not give you any feedback so far…

In short, with this version :
GIMP git version is: 0e9453d;
G’MIC version is: 1.7.0pre#021116.

BTW, in the past, you could download Gimp 2.9.x builds from here (now it is no longer possible):
http://nightly.darkrefraction.com/gimp/

Currently, to my knowledge, there is only the Partha’s web-page which provides them for Windows.
IMHO, GIMP 2.9.x is still extremely buggy on Windows not to mention that its GUI is definitely ugly to work with on this platform (to say the least)… :slight_smile: