Pat David interview with Libre Graphics World

One of my personal “fanboy” moments at LGM this past year was the chance to meet, in person, Alexandre Prokoudine (@prokoudine). He’s been doing PR and outreach for GIMP and other projects for way longer than I’ve been around, and I’ve honestly learned quite a bit from watching him and his interactions with people in various places online (some places GIMP is a four letter word… :wink: ). So it was super exciting to be able to shake his hand and hang out.

We got a chance to sneak away and do an interview one of the days, and he just published it over on LGW:

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/interview-with-pat-david-at-libre-graphics-meeting-2019

Sorry about my face. It used to be better, I swear. :slight_smile:

On a side note, please consider donating to support fantastic coverage of Libre Graphics! I cannot stress enough how important it is to have someone covering the communities and taking the time to actually write and produce material about them, and Alex does a phenomenal job that is not easy.

18 Likes

The fanboy feeling is mutual :slight_smile: And I’m still under impression from the unexpected warm welcome I got from @Tatica and @houz.

8 Likes

PAT DAVIS IS THE MOST HANDSOME PERSON ON THE INTERWEBz.

6 Likes

You srsly don’t realize how fantastic you are @prokoudine … and aye @paperdigits , only thing that’s better than @patdavid 's handsomeness is his voice…

insert fangirl screaming here

1 Like

Oh, ay, sir! ALL HAIL PAT DAVIS

1 Like

I lived in Saarbrucken for a year back in 2012 and just realized that Pat David and Alexandre Prokoudine took the interview right were I took pictures with some dear colleagues and friends :joy:

2 Likes

Ah, at the Hochschule der Bildenden Künste Saar? How funny is that! :slight_smile: That facility was quite nice I thought.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this interview. Thanks a lot to @prokoudine and @patdavid. Even though I occasionally come on this forum and check the different sections, I had never realized there is a dedicated GIMP section! Only realized after watching the interview.

I am a big fan of Libre Graphics World. @prokoudine does an amazing (and probably extremely time-consuming) job to gather a lot of information from a lot of different sources (git commits, anyone?) and put that in very clear articles. I love the long formats as much as the weekly summaries!

@prokoudine I’m not donating yet, and I was wondering if there was a better platform for that. Is LiberaPay better than Patreon? (I know they were having some financial troubles a while ago, not sure if that’s sorted out)

1 Like

Hello Pierre, thanks for the kind words!

Git commits are the tip of the iceberg :slight_smile: Mostly it’s rebuilding from source code, having a look, figuring out, sometimes (often?) talking to devs.

Liberapay is a strange option these days. The way they seem to work now is they get you to pay full price for a large period of time (e.g. $100 for 5 years of support). I’m not sure everyone is comfortable with that. I think they broke their teeth on commissions from tiny payments, hence this solution. But yeah, it’s an option as much as Patreon and direct Paypal donations.

1 Like

@prokoudine - Just saw the interview vid today. I love the way your questions sound exactly like something our of a published magazine. Very professional!

LGW is a great way to spread the word on Open Source projects and for developers its a nice reward for the time/effort they put into Open Source.

3 Likes