Path mask deactivates when created

I run Darktable 4.2 on a laptop under Win 11 - as a beginner.

I have had no issues for six weeks, while I have exercised a bit with DT.

Then one path mask froze and now every new mask die instantly with the last right-click.
The surrounding fall-off space (indicated by the broken line) disappears, and all control points disappear. Left is the path only - and it is dead, can’t be moved, i.e doesn’t respond to the cursor.
At the same time a strange “stray phenomenon” appears across the border of the mask.

If I shift+scroll inside the mask, everything just get larger or smaller - as if the mask isn’t there.

I made a few simpler figures, and they “die” instantly too, showing a strange mask pattern from the shape to the upper left corner of the screen (see attached examples).

Any ideas of what has happened?

Same behaviour in all images or just this one…

Same behavior in the primary ARW file and the derived DNG file from DxO PureRAW2.
The examples are from the ARW file.

Same problem with another RAW file.

I deleted the XMP files, reinstalled DT, and started over with the editing, and the problem sticks.

Which OS. ?? If windows maybe config files are still there… you can try running DT and add --configdir “path” to the command line. Path can be any empty directory… this will run with new clean config files… Try that and see

I know exactly when this anomaly kicked in.
I was making 3 hard points to make the path follow the straight sides of the small triangle going “through” the roof in the middle of the facade. Then the whole path jumped and died as explained, and the diagonal crossing over into the excluded area occurred.

OS: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)

I am not a tech person, Todd, I will try from the command line.

Okay or you can just go into the shortcut after making a copy and add that txt to the command line section…you get into that from right clicking and choosing properties of the shortcut…

The change will be in the Target area…

With this shortcut (hope I got it right)

“C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe” -tmpdir “C:\DT_config”

… the created paths are now active as expected :grinning:

What’s the explanation - maybe it could happen again?

Thank you, Todd.
Much appreciated. This made my day.

Reinstalling darktable almost never helps. The reason is that the configuration is not removed. The only time reinstalling works is if darktable itself (the files from the installation package) get corrupted somehow.

The good news is, you can always remove the current configuration file. It’s suited under AppData/ Local/darktable, and the name is darktablerc.

The reason why adding --configdir helped is that it tells darktable to use another directory, where the configuration file does not exist, so darktable created a new one.

It’s usually simpler to just rename darktablerc to something like darktablerc.old. Then you don’t need to change the shortcut.

NO!!

The problem sticks.

In a new ARW file the problem had disappeared with the reference to the DT_config.

Then, when I returned to the same file to continue editing (new start) - the masking problem re-appeared - an for the same path-mask that earlier was created and worked fine.

Sorry about the premature optimism.

Kofa - it’s the same pattern - whether I refer DT_config - or just rename the configuration file and run Darktable directly from the .exe file – the first attempt to create a path-mask after the new start is successful. Then - and it makes no difference if I restart DT or just leave Darkroom for Lighttable and re-enter Darkroom with the same file - the mask has become inactive.

After having tried a couple of times with renaming of the configuration file - DT now seems to work consistently with the masks.

Fingers crossed - and again - thank you for the combined effort.

If it happens again, please post the broken configuration file here.

Too funny…its my poor example to you and yet it worked… I use my own folder for DT config files as you noted but what was shown to you was only part of the string… I direct the thumbs and temp files to one folder and my config files to a second… so I was directing you to add --configdir “C:\DT_config” or some other folder of your choice… my bad instructions/example lead you to redirect your temp files which in some way must have been part of your issue and using fresh ones fixed it…

When I am at my computer I will post the whole string for you to be more explicit about what I do… DT keeps those files normally in Users\username\Appdata\Local\darktable…

Again sorry so my string is…

“C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe” --configdir “C:\DT_configdir” --cachedir “C:\DT_config” --tmpdir “C:\DT_config” I direct my config and cache files to specified directories…

It was the first one about I was suggesting to try to see how that impacted what you were seeing…

All the options that you can choose when running DT are shown here.

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.0/en/special-topics/program-invocation/darktable/

The change in directory points to an issue/settings in either darktablerc or data.db.

Are you running 4.2 from darktable.org?

PS, for the mask you are doing, I would just use the graduated filter first.

Yes, this one: darktable-4.2.0-win64.exe

I combined the blue channel mask with an excluding path, and your suggestion made me realize that I can do with just excluding the building.

Thank you for the clarification, Todd - and the link. I’ll read - I have “saved” that part for a rainy day.

1 Like