Pentoo, anyone?

Good evening, all,

In my search for the ultimate|best|fastest|whatever distro
I have today experimented with Pentoo. It is a rather narrow
version of Gentoo, intended to be run from a USB stick.

It turned out to work remarkably well, in spite of the fact that I
have an Nvidia gfx (TU-116) and a Ryzen CPU.

As long as I run it from the USB stick, that is.

My problems begin when I try to install it on an SSD disc of its own.
The installation bombs with the message “installation failed to rsync
/mnt/gentoo/root”. So far, I have not being able to locate any solution.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Y U no funtoo?

@paperdigits I’ve tried it, but it was not sufficiently fun…
Pentoo likes my set-up much better.

1 Like

FYI – Just go a msg from the chief developer: known bug, fix will appear in next ISO.

1 Like

rsync failled message is that it has been unable to copy to the specified location, I’d check privileges and mount state (is it mounted in read-write? or read only) on the destination location.

Gentoo installs process usually makes use of chrooting after copying the “install stage” on the tageted medium, check if this error comes from a chrooted or non chrotted environement, the path look like a command aimed at the target medium from the live (non chrooted) env.

Last, some times rsync failures can occur when syncing the portage tree, usually due to bad time stamp (due to not properly set system time/timezone) but given the path shown here in your error it is not the case.

Your error here gives little info but if I can be of some use I’ve been using gentoo for more than 17y now and will gladly share any insight I might have on problems or situation you can encounter while using gentoo.

Good luck !

1 Like

Tiny Core Linux is quite minimal and snappy.

Have you tried FreeBSD? Its ports system is what inspired Gentoo. Its handbook is quite nice:

1 Like