Peppers under ettr test

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (6.6 KB)
DSC06043.ARW (58.8 MB)

I got better results with sigmoid this time…
Maybe bad settings in filmic, but i struggled to get something pleasant.

DSC06040.ARW (58.8 MB)
DSC06039.ARW (58.8 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

Your raw file didn’t upload. Also you may want to expand on the sigmoid comment.

1 Like

Thank you, I had noticed…

My attempt. dt 4.2, filmic v6

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (6.8 KB)

1 Like

It seems a very good result, but i’m watching from phone… :slightly_smiling_face:

I like sigmoid, but I decided to try with filmic first:

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (19.8 KB)

Sigmoid variant coming up…

Here we go!

DSC06043_01.ARW.xmp (9.3 KB)

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (12.3 KB)

I feel like a neutral swatch in the foreground (that you could crop out or just shoot a second frame in the same light) would’ve been really helpful. I feel like the light isn’t doing the yellow pepper any favors.

3 Likes

No sigmoid or filmic…
DSC06043.ARW.xmp (9.7 KB)

Slightly different tone eq…
DSC06043.ARW.xmp (10.6 KB)

Well I decided to have a quick go at doing a simple edit to compare filmic and sigmoid on this image. With filmic I used auto tune levels and then increased the contrast. With sigmoid I just accepted the default values. I am not trying to rate one method against the other with such a simple processing.

Filmic processing

Sigmoid processing

Felt hard to settle upon one look. No sigmoid/filmic.

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (12.2 KB)

1 Like

It was in another frame :smile: the result being somehow warmer than your wb setting, but i agree the yellow pepper suffers from the bad lighting. The table too doesn’t help.

Quick and dirty using tone equalizer.

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (8.6 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

DSC06043_01.ARW.xmp (17.8 KB)

2 Likes

Nice experiment!

I can recommend looking into how to light glossy objects if you want to take it up another level. I like this dude’s method for example: Understanding Gradient Lighting for Glossy Objects - YouTube

I would guess that you need a larger diffuser judging by the small specular highlights on the peppers.

2 Likes

Nothing special,
I guess.

DSC06043.ARW.xmp (21.9 KB)

As far as ETTR is concerned, the specular spots on the peppers (I want to say Paprika, that’s my language I guess? I wouldn’t call these peppers :slight_smile: ) are clipped.

Turn everything off except whitebalance, drag the exposure way down and you’ll see faint magenta spots.

Inpaint-opposed does fix it pretty much without fiddling, although I do still see some coloured edge / fringe where I think there shouldn’t be one. Messing around with the white level a small bit and segmentation-based recovery removed all magenta from the clipped highlights eventually.

A non-issue, as the spots are so small and by the time filmic / sigmoid / tone-equalizer is done over there, they’ll end up ‘white’ most likely anyway.

It does make it so that there is no ‘real’ colour information in those bright specular spots. I guess it’s not an issue, but I would’ve exposed it lower, I guess.

1 Like

It was not an artistic shot, i know. After hours of measurements at vary iso, light conditions and so on, i pointed the camera to the table under the kitchen lamp :grin: set the exposure and shot.
Anyway thanks for advices and link. :smile:

According to rawdigger there were only a handful of pixels blown out in the specular highlights.
In real situations I wouldn’t worry about some blown out specular lights in favor of a better signal.
Obviously for this shot I should have adopted a different light setup, more diffused light with a softbox perhaps.
Anyway thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S.
For the pepper/paprika sorry, but my english is very very limited…

1 Like

I call them capsicums… :grinning:

1 Like

My vocabulary growns… :smile:

Like I said, it is probably not an issue.

But this is the data you captured, there you see how the sensor is clipped:

Just enabling highlight-reconstruction with inpaint-opposed:

Fixes it right up, except for small magenta circles where the unclipped data stops and the clipped data begins. To fix those fringes I had to use segmentation-based.

But as I said, these small details will probably be fixed by just tone-mapping as well. Small spots like this don’t have to be a problem :).

1 Like