Perspective correction auto crop

I have some images taken with a wideangle lens pointed upwards so that vertical lines converge towards the top.

Of course this can be solved by the perspective correction tool, but that tool crops the resulting image too much. I would like to have access to the whole image, even if it is not a rectangle any more, in order to crop it as I like.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Uncheck the “auto fill” checkbox under lens/geometry (scroll up a bit from perspective)

Then you can also use the “post correction adjustment” to shift the image around a bit.

Thank you for your answer. I tried and the “auto fill” checkbox helped a bit but not much.
The shift in post correction adjustments might work, but it is difficult to use if you don’t know the extension of the uncropped image.

At the moment I don’t use the perspective correction in RawTherapee: I save the image and I correct it with Hugin. The result is something like this:

as you can see the image is much larger than what is available in RawTherapee.

Using Hugin is not a big deal, but being able to create such an image in RawTherapee would yield a simpler workflow.

Yes… I did raise the same issue a long time ago. Can’t remember why it couldn’t be done. For my use case unchecking the box and shifting has always been enough. It is an odd solution though. As a user it seems obvious to allow access to all the data.

1 Like