Photo Editing Brawl, Lumix S5ii

Hey guys,

let’s all edit the same picture to individual style and take a look at our different results! :slight_smile:

I’ve recently shot some photos for a DJ with my LUMIX S5ii. However, some of them I can’t really figure out how to tweek them the right way.

I’m not really happy with the light and feel like they are kinda boring. I don’t really know for what I wanna go for with these, so I’m curious, if I should sort them out or if there is a way to make them shine.

Excited to see what you guys come up with! Here are the DNG files and also my 2 edits:

DNG:
P1058469.dng (28.0 MB)
P1058320.dng (26.2 MB)

My edits:

1 Like

Honestly, I think the secret sauce is to motivate the DJ into being more dynamic and establish some more exciting light conditions. He hasn’t given you very much to work with.

2 Likes

P1058320.dng.xmp (11.0 KB)

1 Like

I really struggled with this one.

P1058320.dng.xmp (24.5 KB)

1 Like

100% agreed! We’ve been shooting before a few times, he was not in his best condition this day and I just let him do his thing this time. We are going to shoot next week again at a different location. Will definitely kick his ass bit more this time haha.

And yea the scene and the (lack of) light has been not really exciting. I was curious if there was something I could do to make it more eye catching. In the 2nd photo I`ve shot low shutter speed, so the lights that are not hit by the flash give these lines to make it more dynamic. There are also more photos that are a bit more exciting, just wondering if I could pimp these up, especially the 1st one.

I guess this is something that can’t really be saved in post. The photo is clean, but just boring

2 Likes

Darktable and GIMP

1 Like

#1.

P1058469.dng.xmp (17.4 KB)

#2.

P1058320.dng.xmp (12.5 KB)

My first advice for the light would be to move it away from the camera.

Stage lighting is rarely done from where the audience is placed but at rather extreme angles: 90° sideways, back, top, … then even a single light can do wonders.

If on-camera is your only option then there is one last resort: go super-wide angle with the lens and go super close – which will widen the distance between lens and light. But that look can get super boring super fast and it also might not suit the style of the music the DJ is playing.

On the contrary, I really hope this guys calm demeanour catches on - nothing looks sillier than a DJ fist pumping while turning knobs.

Don’t know, if it is good or not. A more experimental point of view:

P1058320.dng.xmp (19.6 KB)

1 Like

P1058320.dng.xmp (13.0 KB)
P1058469.dng.xmp (8.4 KB)