Photo Printing from GIMP questions

I usually print from darktable on Ubuntu using Turbo Print’s drivers and get excellent results. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 10 for color prints but for black and white I use a local printer. The last B&W prints I had made were done on some Hahnemulhe papers which I really liked. Unfortunately, Turbo Print only supports Canon papers and 2 Hahnemulhe papers but not the one I wanted to try. I set up a Win 10 VM, installed GIMP added my printer. When I try to print from GIMP I am only offered the same papers from Turbo Print, which I suspect match those that come with Canon’s drivers. I downloaded ICC profiles from Hahnemulhe but those are only for soft proofing I think. How do I add papers from other manufacturers to either Windows or GIMP?

From ICC Profile

The profiles we provide are RGB profiles for use with your print driver and your graphic application

There is a PDF included with the ICC profile download that details the settings for your print driver.

I guess I get stuck on step 2 and 7:

Where do I go from here?

I can tell you where those settings are in the Epson driver, but not the canon driver.

I dug around some and I think this takes care of it. I check the box for “Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment” and select the “Matching” tab. From there I can select ICM (no idea what that means), and select the paper I want from the “Printer Profile” drop down.

I’ll run a few proof prints to be sure!
Also, @paperdigits you’ve helped me on so many questions all over these forums so I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your time and knowledge. You have been a huge help and I doubt I could have done much without it. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Oh thanks! That makes my day :slight_smile:

I’m glad I said it then!