PhotoFlow News and Updates

@Goorawin @afre I will look at the lens fun issue under Win as soon as I have access to a win machine, but not before next weekend.

As @afre mentioned, a more detailed export module, with JPEG quality adjustment and much more, is in development…

Thanks for the reply
You have done a great job on this program so far.
To me is seems a very logical and easy to understand layout. I would certainly like to get to use it more.
I do find DT and RT much more complex and difficult to get a handle on, but then they do have their different advantages which do work well.
So keep up the good work

1 Like

@Goorawin @afre - I have updated the Win64 and OSX packages, and hopefully fixed the issue of the missing lens corrections.

I’d be grateful if you could check and confirm that the fix works for you as well…

Thanks!

Will investigate in a few days. Had a thought a while back. Would it be possible to make a correction and then emulate the distortions of another lens? That would be neat.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick update, much appreciated.
Yes, it now allows changing the lens correction and colour profile which is great. However the layout now make selecting some of the options more difficult, see attached.
Which directory on windows is used to store the lens correction profiles. At the moment it does not have my camera profile, a Panasonic DMCFZ2500, so I have to use a DMCFZ1000 profile instead, which is not quite correct.
Interestingly because I can load the colour profile manually, I’m now able to load the correct colour profile for my camera but not the lens correction.

I have not found an option that allows setting these profiles as a default, which means reloading them on each new image, a rather slow process. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately this version appears to be crashing much more frequently. At the moment, I have not been able to narrow anything in particular down, that may be causing this issue. I’ll let you know if I find anything, but I’m only using it for testing, because this and its JPG quality.

@Goorawin Re: Layout. I am using the non-GTK3 versions, with which I am more comfortable.

@Carmelo_DrRaw Using the raw from [PlayRaw] Falkert - Austrian Landscape, I go into the menu and select the closest named lens (exiftool says it is a AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED). However, when I do anything in PhotoFlow including resizing the app window, the setting changes back into Unknown lens.

I am looking into that, there is indeed something still fishy in the way lenses are selected and associated to cameras…

I looked more in detail into this, and it turns out that many Nikon lenses in the lensfun database have been characterized using APS-C sensors, even if they are compatible with FF cameras. Hence, the correction parameters are unfortunately not valid for the D610 used for the PlayRAW shot. Here is an example, which probably corresponds to the lens you have been trying to use:

<lens>
        <maker>Nikon</maker>
        <model>Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED</model>
        <model lang="en">Nikkor AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED</model>
        <mount>Nikon F AF</mount>
        <!-- Average crop factor of Nikon APS-C cameras -->
        <cropfactor>1.528</cropfactor>
        <calibration>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="18" a="0.005981" b="-0.024888" c="0"/>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="21" a="0.005045" b="-0.019527" c="0"/>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="23" a="0.001429" b="-0.00989" c="0"/>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="26" a="0" b="-0.00509" c="0"/>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="30" a="0" b="-0.003797" c="0"/>
            <distortion model="ptlens" focal="35" a="0" b="-0.002437" c="0"/>
        </calibration>
    </lens>

I need to modify the interface so that it removes from the list all lenses that are not compatible with the selected camera model…

That’s too bad. I suppose the demand is high for crop sensor + lens combos. Could you still provide a checkbox to enable unintended combinations? This request along with the “correction then emulate distortion” one would be great!

Yes, I can do it, however I have no idea if LensFun works more or less reliably in this case…

Not that the matching criteria used in PhF is already more relaxed than in RT and DT, as I’m only requiring that the minimum crop factor in the database is lower than the one of the camera in use. The standard matching criteria of LensFun also includes the compatibility of the mounts, but we have already seen here that some unforeseen camera/lens combinations are actually perfectly legitimate.

Regarding the “correction then emulate distortion”, I am still trying to figure out if that is possible. More news ASAP.

RhotoFlow’s saved pfi will not reload into Photoflow on Windows10 pro. See attached files. The load but the screen remains blank.P1000697.pfi (6.4 KB)

I will have a look!

What worked for me was changing the path in the .pfi file manually.

<property name="file_name" value="E:\Resolve Editing\New Zealand & Subantarctic Islands 2017-2018\PhotoFlow\Testing\P1000697.JPG">
      </property>

After opening the unmodified .pfi, changing the path in the background layer's file name: field doesn’t help; nor does it recover the basic adjustments layer that didn’t load.

I encountered this before and, every time, forget that I need to update the path. It would be nice, if PF cannot locate the image, there would be a prompt asking for it. If the user doesn’t provide one, then the .pfi won’t open.

The issue is related to the & character in the path, which should be escaped in the .pfi XML file. I am implementing a fix for it, hopefully it will be ready and tested by tomorrow.

@afre - the dialog that notifies that a given file cannot be found is a good idea, but it is a bit more difficult and will take some time before it will be available…

@Goorawin @afre - I have prepared new packages that should solve the recently reported issues, i.e:

• fix the Parse failed problem and allow to re-open .PFI files containing paths with &or < characters
  • allow for better compatibility between .PFI files saved under Linux, Windows and OSX

Concerning this last point, it has to be noted that whenever PhF ties to load an image specified in the .PFI file, it first tries to use the full path and, if that fails, tries to find the an image with the same name and in the same folder as the .PFI file.
Hence, you can always ship the .PFI file and the associated input images together if you want to let others see your edits…

Regarding the lens corrections module, I have added an option to bypass all compatibility checks between camera and lens, and let the user choose among all the lenses available in the LensFun database, regardless of the actual camera model.
This must be considered some “special” mode of operation, and I have seen crashes when some really exotic camera/lens combination is chosen. However, it can be handy in cases where LensFun is applying too strict criteria.
This option is disabled by default, in which case the list of lenses is built dynamically according to the selected camera model:

As usual, updated packages are available from here.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, That side of it now works well, great.
I’m still getting a number of crashes which I haven’t as yet been able to narrow down. Some modules now appear to cause issues sometimes.
Can I make a suggestion. Altering values can be very finicky in most modules. However in the sharpening module, the radius can be changed very smoothly using the mouse wheel, if this could be applied to other modules it would be very helpful. Maybe to make it even easier, a key shortcut could be added to increase or decrease the speed at which these values changed.
Keep up the good work.

I have started to work on a feature that is on my todo list since a while… a full-featured image export module.

The idea is to provide the user with all the tools needed to create the final output image (Jpeg or Tiff):

• options specific to the output format
  • resizing
  • port-resize sharpening
  • conversion to the output colorspace

Here is how the new export dialog looks like at the moment:

The large empty space on the right is reserved for a real-time preview of the final result, including the soft-proofing to the output colorspace.

The image resize section offers a number of pre-defined formats:

The arrangement of the widgets can definitely be improved, nevertheless I’m very much interested in getting some impressions and suggestions before completing this part…

Thanks for looking!

3 Likes

Good updates! Remarks:

1. What does Open do? Does that mean that I could open a file directly without going into the regular edit mode?

2. Would it be possible for the user to define the output size? Does it automatically fit within the bounds? E.g. if my image is 1000x1000 and choose 1280x720, would it be resized to 1280x1280, 720x720 or 1280x720?

3. Could you provide tool tips on each item? E.g., if I hover over post-resize sharpening, it would tell me its purpose (if I don’t know why I would do that; newbie) and / or what kind of sharpening it is (for those of us who care; snob).

The export module is great and seems to work very well on my early testing…
Yes, it would be interesting to know the purpose of the open option?
The resize option also works well.
The chroma subsampling saves the image in 4:4:4 color space, while unselected it is saved as an 4:2:0 ticked. I’m not sure how one would save it as 4:2:2
Anyway great work

1 Like

@afre @Goorawin - the Open button allows to choose the name of the output file through a file chooser dialog, which might be more handy that typing the whole path in the entry next to it… that’s all.

For the moment, it simply fits inside the bounds. a 1000x1000 image resized to 1280x720 will end-up being 720x720. In future I plan to provide more options, as well as an interactive way to define the crop area if the input and target aspect ratios do not match. But that’s not for tomorrow…