PhotoFlow News and Updates

Hello DrRaw,
How are you my Dear? I see you work yet very hard in this summer…
Very good news… demosaicing!

On my linux, I haven’t yet the last Photoflow release because I have difficulties with the Dariusz Duma ppa and my Mint 18.1 serena…but soon all would be resolved, I hope.

At soon.
Patrick D.

Latest continuous win10 release. I cannot open t/sharpening-techniques-lizard-subject/13427. PF is stuck at loading null and the window is not interactive. When I maximize window, I see two windows. If PF cannot load, make it stop gracefully and alert the user about it.

Edit Oops, I downloaded the link. Not the file.

All is fine for me, what about you?

I just looked into Dariusz’s Ubuntu PPA, and I hopefully fixed the compilation error that is preventing the packages to be updated.

Could you check if tomorrow you get a new update for the photoflow-git package?

I hope it will work!

Greetings, Andrea

1 Like

In this version

image,

for this image

image,

I am unable to select the lens.

Also, info gets cut off when sidebar is narrow.

Ok I will check it this week-end, my Friend! I live at my wife’s house but I have my computer at my home. But recently the door of my apartment was forced, I brought my 1080 Ti graphic card back to Marie-Claire’s house so I can’t use my computer, I must re-install Mint 19,1 at home…I will check it.

Me, I am ok but now I live in Ardennes (Givet) et not at Lille in north of France. I changed since my Marie-Claire’s discovery… I am gardener now because my house has one and my landscape is very beautiful. Ardennes is a forest country with little villages: I love!

At soon.
Pat

On Windows, cannot save the PFI of 20190820_Südpark_Blüten_8112_B.DNG using photoflow-w64-20190807_2112-git-simplified-pipeline.

PS Another thing I noticed is when negative clipping is on in raw developer and I export the image into another colour profile I still get negative values. Edit Perhaps include an option to clip negatives and overflow at this stage as well.

PPS I find that RT’s auto-CA performs better than PF’s one. Any chance it could be included? It is a part of librtprocess now.

PPPS This is unsubstantiated but I find myself never using lens correction (distortion) anymore. (Edit: and vignetting doesn’t seem to do anything.) For some reason, I feel that it is accentuating the distortion rather than fixing it. Let me explain. When the correction is an outward barrel, it looks like it is stretching the corners too much; and vice versa. Could it be that the correction is reversed or that the correction already happened? In any case, it doesn’t feel that it is doing it right, whereas RT and dt appear okay. Thoughts?

Speaking of lens correction, I really appreciate RT’s auto-CA. Now that it is in the librtprocess, would you mind porting it over to PF?

Enough with the PSs. :stuck_out_tongue: This next issue is really bothering me.

Whenever PF is processing something, it does so until completion; however, if it is an intensive operation or I want to do something else, it either makes the app unresponsive to other input or it becomes unstable and / or crashes. E.g., I had to close PF just now because Gamut Mapping in the Colorspace Conversion module was taking a while and I proceeded to toggle Black Point correction, but I couldn’t because the GUI was unresponsive and the console seemed to be in a long (or infinite) loop.

Let me wrap up all what you observed and reported, and do some tests. I hope I will be able to finally get back to you in some days with some concrete solutions!

I admit I have been awfully side-tracked over the past weeks, and did not pay enough attention to the bug reports. I hope to catch up with my homework now that the local laplacian experiments are concretizing a bit…

1 Like

Sorry for being vague when it comes to these reports. Hope they help. My mind, body and soul have been melting due to taking care of ill parents 24/7/365. :cry:

Oh and closing a raw image tab still crashes the app… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have just merged the new-caching branch into stable.

The new code does not introduce any new tools, instead brings an improved managing of layer caching. The new caching mechanism is based on a global pool of tiles, the size of which can be adjusted in the options:

The default value of 1000MB gives good performances with a reasonable memory footprint.

A special thank to @gadolf, @paulmiller and @afre for their precious help in debugging the new code!

The new caching mechanism has also been merged into the simplified-pipeline branch, if anyone is interested.

Packages are available for download at the usual link: Release Continuous build · aferrero2707/PhotoFlow · GitHub

2 Likes

Would an input field be better than a slider? Easier to control for those of us with less dexterity.

You are right… can be both, like for all other sliders in the tool dialogs.

I just pushed a first implementation of an histogram with extended range.

A checkbox allows to select wether or not to clip the histogram to the [0, 1] range.
When not clipped, the histogram will show the distribution of all the values in the image, with vertical dashed lines marking 0 and 1:

23%20PM

Next step will be a selector to switch the horizontal scale between linear, perceptual and log2 representation…

5 Likes

Oh, so nicely done!

I did similar for rawproc 0.9, but the wxWidgets drawing tools don’t give me the nice plot. Probably just my lack of time to devote to proper line-draw scaling…

FWIW, I’ve found having the EV stops plotted, around a configurable EV0, to be more useful than the data scaling…

Nice! Unclipped mode makes it very easy to tell if you have any highlight clipping because the ‘1.0’ marker moves away from the right hand edge.

Work in progress: a histogram for the RAW values.

Currently it can show the full range of values:

or the detail of the shadows range:

or the values around the white point:

The code is not committed yet. Next step is to introduce the option to plot the histogram after the WB multipliers have been applied.

Suggestions are welcome!!!

2 Likes

Thought of a neat idea. Could we have a histogram tool that could select any layer or step? I mention step because a single module may have multiple modifications; e.g., raw developer.

2 Likes

I have a question. On, the settings option at the top there is a tick box for ‘load default profile’. Does this mean that you can apply a default profile to all new images. How does this work? Thanks!

Bugs

Layer panel: can toggle on/off checkbox using mouse outside of checkbox.

Save prompt on exit: cannot cancel; prompt pops up again. Remove cancel button.

Export overwrite prompt: yes and no buttons are inconsistently reversed.

Confirmed, I will have a look

Correct, in will swap them

I suspect this is a GTK “feature”, but I’ll check anyhow

Thanks!