PhotoFlow News and Updates

RhotoFlow’s saved pfi will not reload into Photoflow on Windows10 pro. See attached files. The load but the screen remains blank.P1000697.pfi (6.4 KB)

I will have a look!

What worked for me was changing the path in the .pfi file manually.

<property name="file_name" value="E:\Resolve Editing\New Zealand & Subantarctic Islands 2017-2018\PhotoFlow\Testing\P1000697.JPG">
      </property>

After opening the unmodified .pfi, changing the path in the background layer's file name: field doesn’t help; nor does it recover the basic adjustments layer that didn’t load.

I encountered this before and, every time, forget that I need to update the path. It would be nice, if PF cannot locate the image, there would be a prompt asking for it. If the user doesn’t provide one, then the .pfi won’t open.

The issue is related to the & character in the path, which should be escaped in the .pfi XML file. I am implementing a fix for it, hopefully it will be ready and tested by tomorrow.

@afre - the dialog that notifies that a given file cannot be found is a good idea, but it is a bit more difficult and will take some time before it will be available…

@Goorawin @afre - I have prepared new packages that should solve the recently reported issues, i.e:

• fix the Parse failed problem and allow to re-open .PFI files containing paths with &or < characters
  • allow for better compatibility between .PFI files saved under Linux, Windows and OSX

Concerning this last point, it has to be noted that whenever PhF ties to load an image specified in the .PFI file, it first tries to use the full path and, if that fails, tries to find the an image with the same name and in the same folder as the .PFI file.
Hence, you can always ship the .PFI file and the associated input images together if you want to let others see your edits…

Regarding the lens corrections module, I have added an option to bypass all compatibility checks between camera and lens, and let the user choose among all the lenses available in the LensFun database, regardless of the actual camera model.
This must be considered some “special” mode of operation, and I have seen crashes when some really exotic camera/lens combination is chosen. However, it can be handy in cases where LensFun is applying too strict criteria.
This option is disabled by default, in which case the list of lenses is built dynamically according to the selected camera model:

As usual, updated packages are available from here.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, That side of it now works well, great.
I’m still getting a number of crashes which I haven’t as yet been able to narrow down. Some modules now appear to cause issues sometimes.
Can I make a suggestion. Altering values can be very finicky in most modules. However in the sharpening module, the radius can be changed very smoothly using the mouse wheel, if this could be applied to other modules it would be very helpful. Maybe to make it even easier, a key shortcut could be added to increase or decrease the speed at which these values changed.
Keep up the good work.

I have started to work on a feature that is on my todo list since a while… a full-featured image export module.

The idea is to provide the user with all the tools needed to create the final output image (Jpeg or Tiff):

• options specific to the output format
  • resizing
  • port-resize sharpening
  • conversion to the output colorspace

Here is how the new export dialog looks like at the moment:

The large empty space on the right is reserved for a real-time preview of the final result, including the soft-proofing to the output colorspace.

The image resize section offers a number of pre-defined formats:

The arrangement of the widgets can definitely be improved, nevertheless I’m very much interested in getting some impressions and suggestions before completing this part…

Thanks for looking!

3 Likes

Good updates! Remarks:

1. What does Open do? Does that mean that I could open a file directly without going into the regular edit mode?

2. Would it be possible for the user to define the output size? Does it automatically fit within the bounds? E.g. if my image is 1000x1000 and choose 1280x720, would it be resized to 1280x1280, 720x720 or 1280x720?

3. Could you provide tool tips on each item? E.g., if I hover over post-resize sharpening, it would tell me its purpose (if I don’t know why I would do that; newbie) and / or what kind of sharpening it is (for those of us who care; snob).

The export module is great and seems to work very well on my early testing…
Yes, it would be interesting to know the purpose of the open option?
The resize option also works well.
The chroma subsampling saves the image in 4:4:4 color space, while unselected it is saved as an 4:2:0 ticked. I’m not sure how one would save it as 4:2:2
Anyway great work

1 Like

@afre @Goorawin - the Open button allows to choose the name of the output file through a file chooser dialog, which might be more handy that typing the whole path in the entry next to it… that’s all.

For the moment, it simply fits inside the bounds. a 1000x1000 image resized to 1280x720 will end-up being 720x720. In future I plan to provide more options, as well as an interactive way to define the crop area if the input and target aspect ratios do not match. But that’s not for tomorrow…

Maybe call it Export As… as Open can be a source of confusion and user questions.

Take your time. It is a blessing that PhotoFlow has been growing so rapidly.

Now you’re in gimp territory! In Inkscape that button is called “Save As”… But perhaps " Export file name"?

It could be any of those but Open is definitely not the right term. Hence, our question on what Open actually does.

I have fixed few small bugs that were affecting the current version:

• the colorspace conversion module were wrongly using relative colorimetric intent for all transforms, regardless of which option was chosen in the UI. This is now fixed.
  • The support for EXR files was apparently broken on OSX, now it is fixed
  • the button at the top of the export dialog has been re-labelled “Export as…”, which should be more intuitive.

As usual, packages for download will be soon available in the GitHub repository.

PhotoFlow::main(): argc=1
argv[0]: “/home/ego/PhotoFlow/build/Release/bin/photoflow”
exePath: /home/ego/PhotoFlow/build/Release/bin
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘Glib::ConvertError’
dataPath: Abandon (core dumped)
[ego@xyz ~]$

(self-compiled Photoflow)
if someone can tell me what & why, thanks!

Since it is self-compiled, could you re-compile with the cmake option
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
and then run the photoflow executable with GDB to obtain a stack trace of the crash?

Thanks!

Recompiled with this option, and it works… (not everything understood)
Thanks!

If you happen to see any reproducible crashes, now that photoflow is compiled with debugging symbols you will have the possibility to run it with GDB and get a stack backtrace. I’m interested in any of those backtraces, so do not hesitate to post them here if you have the time…

Thanks!

I opened the Rabbit and Pigeon PlayRaw raw file. In lens correction I see

The camera rectangle flashes to AEE DV momentarily.

A separate question would be highlights reco. To my understanding this affects interpolation regardless of whether I change the other settings in the Exp tab. I tend to set it to blend because in our previous discussion it seems that clip discards detail but benefits from less artifacts. I would rather retain the detail and deal with the colour issues later.

In light of the current OCIO discussion which setting should I use? None, clip or blend? (I don’t clip negatives or overflow.)

This specific camera (Canon Ixus 140) is simply not (yet) supported by LensFun. I need to check why the lens box does not show “unknown lens”.