PhotoFlow plugin for GIMP crashes

Hi,
I’m new to the forum, and I need help from the experts here.
I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bits and I’ve downloaded the Gimp Appimage. The program runs OK, but there is now way I can use the PhotoFlow plugin, as it always crashes at startup.
No matter if trying to open a raw image or by simply calling it from the Gimp menu.

Any clue ?
Thanks in advance.

Marco

@MarcoNex First of all, welcome to the forum!

Could you provide me a log of all the console messages printed by the gimp AppImage when you try to open a RAW file with the PhF plug-in?

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer, here are the logs:

gimp-terminal-log.txt (10.3 KB)

The Gimp error console gives the following:

GIMP Error
Plug-in crashed: “pfgimp-load”
(/tmp/.mount_KdnvqA/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/pfgimp-load)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP’s internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

GIMP Error
Opening ‘/media/Dati/foto da archiviare/color/DSC02997.ARW’ failed:

Procedure ‘file-photoflow-sony-load’ returned no return values

Strange… I will provide an updated GIMP+PhF AppImage in a few hours, so I suggest to try again with it. meanwhile, could you provide a sample of the failing RAW file?

Thanks!

It seem all my Sony ARW file make PhF crash; same story with Nikon NEF files.
It crashes also opening a jpeg and calling the plugin from the Gimp menu.

Downloaded the new version of Appimage, no luck.

Thanks,
Marco

Could you send me again the logs from the latest appimage? I’d like to see also the one from the JPEG file…

Which system are you using?

Thanks!

Edit: I see you are using Ubuntu 16.04… that’s the system on which I produce and test the appimage, so it is really strange…

This is the log when trying to open PhF from jpeg
For completeness, I launched Gimp with the option --verbose and redirected both stdout and stderr to the logfile
jpeg.log.txt (37.0 KB)

It seems to me that just before the plugin is terminated there are several warning like:
vips warning: TIFFReadDirectory: Unknown field with tag 18246 (0x4746) encountered

perhaps the plugin is trying to read a corrupted tif file.
Also, I noticed that next time I try to reopen PhF I get the following dialog

and If I say Yes, the PhF opens, but with a completely screwed histogram

It seems some kind of file corruption problem, or ?

Thanks
Marco

I honestly have no clue for the moment… I have tried to do the same on my Ubuntu system, and all runs fine.

On the other hand, I am going to completely change the way the plugin is invoked, and follow the same idea of Darktable (a separate executable instead of a compiled-in shared object), so we might want to postpone this investigation for a couple of weeks until the new plugin is ready.

Maybe you could give the PhotoFlow AppImage a try, and tell me if it works? You can download the latest from here (take the one tagged 20170202).

Thanks!

Tried PhotoFlow Appimage and it crashes when opening any image.
Then I installed regular PhotoFlow from ppa and it works fine !
I will make a post on the PhF Appimage forum.

Thanks a lot.
Marco

@MarcoNex I have prepared a special PhF AppImage, which is compiled with debugging symbols and runs the program through gdb (you need to have gdb installed in your system for this to work): https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow-20170204-git-stable-8b4de2a8c24d6a03655dbb5e1cd730bf519c8791.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage

Could you try to reproduce the crash with this special version, and send me the full backtrace of the crash? You can obtain it with the following gdb commands:

set pagination off
set logging file log.txt
set logging on
thread apply all bt full

See here for details…

Thanks!

Here are the gdb logs.
I have done two, one when opening a JPG and one for Sony ARW.

logjpg.txt (24.1 KB)
logarw.txt (14.8 KB)

Maybe an error in the GUI ?

Thanks,
Marco

The crash occurs in the VIPS code… I have now added debugging symbols to the VIPS library bundled in the appimage, maybe this will provide a better insight: https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow-20170205-git-stable-1b8996b36e85999508f4b627b72041877e3695c3.glibc2.14-dbg-x86_64.AppImage

If you could provide again the logs with this new version, it would be really great!

Here is the new log:

logjpg.txt (25.6 KB)

Thanks,

Marco

I’m totally lost… VIPS is crashing in a place that looks totally innocent.

The only idea I could think of was to update the VIPS version to the latest one (8.4.5), and rebuild the appimage again. It should appear in about one hour in the usual place: Release Continuous build · aferrero2707/PhotoFlow · GitHub

I will check tomorrow morning if it has been correctly generated, and let you know.

Thanks!