Photographer Baldwin Lee (new book and exhibition in NYC) in the New Yorker

The New Yorker magazine has a short article up talking about photographer Baldwin Lee (https://www.baldwinlee.com/) and the release of his first book. They include a few of his images and they’re bangers (Lee studied under photography giants Minor White and Walker Evans).

Of course, this is also my home region so that helps a bit too. :slight_smile:

Two of my favs from the New Yorker article:

Montgomery, Alabama (1984)

Vicksburg, Mississippi (1984)

8 Likes

Thank you for posting this link! The photos are spectacular and full of character. They vividly bring back so many memories of my life so long ago.

In the 50s and 60s I grew up in one of the towns mentioned in the article: Valdosta, a small town in south Georgia. As was true for most of the other towns in that part of the state, its economy was based on agriculture and the pace of life was slow and comfortable. The high school football team was by far the biggest topic of conversation. Whatever happened everywhere else in the country and in the world was far away and out of sight, out of mind.

Valdosta was (and probably still is) a safe family-oriented town with few of the problems that are so common in the “big city.” That is, if you were white and at least lower middle class. However, those outside of that classification or who lived “south of the tracks,” well, life was more like Lee showed in his photos. But people from the northwest side of town didn’t think so much about it at the time.

I haven’t lived there since I flew the coop and went to college in Atlanta, but I’ll bet that it’s not too much different even now.

1 Like

I just remembered a photo you might enjoy seeing shot from the sidelines during one of the high school football games in the early 1960s. Sorry for the bad quality but this happened suddenly without warning and I was very lucky to get this. Shot on Tri-X pushed to ASA 1200 or so, using available light. Scanned from an old print… Wish I still had the negative!

2 Likes

Wonderful! Pair of bare foot (and back!) boys from Valdosta. Certainly some character down here in the south… :slight_smile:

1 Like