Photographs and resolution

Not any particular software. Thought someone here is sure to know. I cannot get a definitie answer from Google.

Is there any difference between HD photos and High Resolution and if so, what?

HD is a term mostly used in the video world is stands for high-definition and represents a resolution of 1280 × 720 pixels. It’s mostly used in video because it fits a standard 16:9 aspect ratios of a modern TV and is used as a standard resolution in TV world.

On the other hand High Resolution actually doesn’t mean anything. Or it changes with time because we’re constantly increasing the number of pixels in our devices. HD was once considered a high resolution. That would be 4k now.

But I’d say, and this is just my opinion, that anything you can’t actually see the pixels of is a high (or high enough) resolution. Now that depends on the pixel density and viewing distance so you basically have to calculate for yourself if something is high enough resolution or not. Meaning if you walk far enough from a low resolution display or image, you’ll reach a distance from where you can’t perceive an increase in resolution compared to the current “low resolution”.

TL:DR HD is a resolution of 1280 × 720 pixels. For most purposes a “High Resolution” in today’s world would be 4K. FHD or resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels would be a minimum in today’s world but also high enough for most things and it will probably be that way forever.

2 Likes

Wow that was quicker than I expected.
Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Resolution in the traditional sense is about how well one or an instrument can resolve an image; in other words, tell objects or details apart. A photo may be 8K but if you have noise, motion, atmospheric, etc., interference or hardware limitations, your real life resolution may be much much lower.

Certainly, with distance, age and other conditions including new viewing tech (e.g. “HDR”), our eyes and brains can be tricked into seeing more than is actually there.

In fiction, we have enhance. In real life, we have machine learning. However, at that point, it is merely estimating or approximating what we think or conclude was there in the frame at the time of capture.

Resolution can be a confusing term because it has two different meanings. On the one hand it refers to perceived sharpness, or the ability to resolve fine detail, while on the other hand it refers to dimensions, the size of the image. These are two different things, as it’s possible to resolve fine detail on a small image, and not resolve fine detail on a large image.

But as @KristijanZic stated, the term HD typically refers to image dimensions with 720 or 1080 pixel width (sometimes the latter is referred to as “full” hd. There are other types of hd, like qhd for 1440p, uhd for 2160p).

EDIT: That should read 720 or 1080 pixel height. The width would be 1280 or 1920.

As time goes on, we end up with more ridiculous acronyms, marketing and standards. But in the context of our conversation, we can pretty much categorize resolutions as follows:

PS I edited the thread title to be more indicative of the subject matter.

1 Like

Thank you Afre :slightly_smiling_face: (I should mention why I asked the question in my first post though, probably should have at first.)

I have a photo restoration/retouching group and would like people to upload highest HD/resolution possible. We find scans of hard copies are best to work with if not a very large photo. People continue to take photos of photos.
So what should I be asking for if not a scan?

The idea is to preserve as much colour and resolution (detail) as possible. Sometimes prints have textures that you may want to remove in post-processing.

Taking photos or scans of prints can be tricky. You have to make sure that it is well lit, preferably with a neutral full spectrum light bulb; glare and reflection free; positioned correctly; as clean as possible; etc.

Make sure your group doesn’t take photos of screens. Or photos of photos of photos. Sharing the same image over and over again on social media will deteriorate the image really quickly. They should find the originals or close to them as possible be it in print or digitized.

Yes, this is a rabbit hole. First and foremost, make sure they are having fun. :partying_face:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for that :slight_smile:
Usually get only scans of hard copy photos. Thankfully. Have only had a few scan emailed photos etc.
We know they will not get a good result with that,so ask for it not to be done.
(Unfortunately some think magicians can do anything) We are only volunteers, Not magicians :slight_smile:

To be fair it’s not only in screen resolution that this happens, my favourite is the telescope names, Very Large Telescope, Extremely Large Telescope, the canceled Overwhelmingly Large Telescope :smiley: Not as distant from “Ultra” as it seems.