Photometric Color Calibration Fails

Hi , I trying to use photometric color calibration on images taken with a 50mm lens on a full frame DLSR. It fails to plate solve and I don’t understand the error message in the log file. I’m wondering if someone could shed some light and give me an idea of what else I could try to get it to plate solve. I’ve tried different catalogs, not sure what else to try. Below is the error reported in the log file. Thanks -Nick

Next version will be dedicated to a better platesolving of wide field image (i.e the current dev version).

Thanks, I’m looking forward to giving it a try.
-Nick

Let me know if you want a copy of the image to try for plate solving. It’s just an image of NGC7000, the North America Nebula, taken with a 50mm lens. I really don’t consider 60mm to be wide angle, 15mm I consider wide angle, but I realize compared to a telescope they are wide and super wide. I’m happy to here work is being done in this area I hope it goes well.

For astronomy 50mm is wide angle. Astrophotography is not standard photography.

Of course if you want share your pic, just do.

Hi lock042,

I hope the next version will be able to plate solve an image like the one below. It’s from a 50mm lens on a full frame DSLR. I want to be able to use the photometric color calibration feature , which is really why I would like to be able to plate solve this. I know its not a fair comparison, but this does plate solve with nova.astrometry.net.

Thanks,
Nick

Astrometry.net is dedicated to this task. So yes this is two things we can not compare.
But if you want to know, share your image.

I did post the image that won’t plate solve in Siril. Can you test this with the next version, or do you need something else?
Thanks,
Nick

Sorry don’t see any link to the image to download.

I’m sorry, I just realized I uploaded an edited jpg image which is not very useful to test the photometric color calibration and plate solving. I’ll try adding a link to the result.fit file.

NGC70000 with a 50mm lens - result.fit

Thanks
Nick

I think your upload failed.
The image is corrupted, only half of it is visible.

Thanks, I apologize, the file is so large, it didn’t completely get uploaded to my ISP. I had to re try several times, but was able to upload it. I hope you can read it now.
Thanks,
Nick
result.fit

Here the result

that looks pretty cool :smiley:

1 Like

and so, can you explain to Nick and everybody what special thing you had to do to make it work?

Sure.

Better than words a video: https://free-astro.org/videos/WideFieldPlateSolving.webm

1 Like

Thanks lock042, that’s awesome! Thanks for testing this file. So that is only available right now in the dev version? Any idea when it will be officially released?

Thanks
Nick

When everything will be ready :slight_smile:

1 Like