Yes I had forgoten some rubrics, I just add and correct them
a) It is more complex than that…yes, but Shadows and highlihts are in many process
b) “Labgrid” and “Labgrid regions” are 2 mode of “Colortoning”
d) yes, but only for wavelet / fftw / median
g) no (yes in part), But Film simulation is a rubric - you find just after HSV equalizer
But your question, under an implicit appearance is complex, what is in what, at what place put an action in a process ?
The answer is not simple and can not be summarized as “it’s better before” or “it’s better after” or “it’s better if we can choose the place”
If choose as example “Denoise” (generic term). The noise is a complex thing, some years ago, Emil Martinec (with my modest contribution) as work on noise. It was the time of DCRAW and Perfectraw
We differentiate, noise depending on whether it comes from the material or photons.
But in resumed, “Materiel noise” was at the beginning and “Photons noise” at the end.
Since we have work and migrate “Photons noise” at the beginning
Material noise : CFA lindenoise and a part treated by wavelet and bilateral filter
It is easy to say “Yes we can put elsewhere…” but “noise” is complex.
I think the best threatement is a distributed treatment
- CFA in first in RGB mode (banding)
- a minimum treatment in beginning , to avoid loss of detail, by using wawelet - fftw - median, and “impulse denoise” (bilateral filter)
- treatment by RT, which will probably increase the noise
- use of “Locallab denoise”, and or “wavelet levels”, to finished the treatment and adjust to what want the user. Leave noise in some places, accentuate the action in a general way
Other example with “Retinex”
Retinex is controversial tool, after being praised, he is now forgotten (a little), dehaze would be superior !
- retinex in RGB mode is incomplete, I propose an enhancement here issue #5099, by addind “Chroma” and “dehaze”, adding the qualities of the two algorithms, including “Retinex” which is able to separate front and background
- you have also "Retinex in wavelet (branch wavelet new)
- and also “Retinex” in Locallab" who allows to treat background and woks “after” at the end…
Retinex is a very complex tool, which I simplified the use in “locallab”