Pixel 7 Pro raw processing

Hello gurus. Just got myself a new phone and I thought I’d give processing it’s raw file a go. How did I go? First image is the phone jpeg and the second mine.

3 Likes

Looks pretty good. Did you use a color profile? If so, care to share?

As for critique, you may want to lessen up on the highlight compression. You seem to have lost some detail there.

Thanks chaimav. I searched for a colour profile but couldn’t find anything. Thanks for the HC tip. I was wondering where I lost the detail. RT couldn’t match the phone’s sharpening so I cheated and used Topaz! Modern phones certainly have amazing computational photography! This was just a bit of fun. No intention of shooting raw with the phone. I have a couple of mirrorless cameras for that!

G’day, Mate

What would happen if you try to get more oompf in the leaves/petals (whatever)?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Thanks Claes. It would then look more like the phone’s jpeg I suppose??? I was trying for a more natural look. Current photography fashion certainly favours oomph over natural!

It seems like https://raw.pixls.us/ is missing raw samples from Pixel 7 Pro. Would you like to share a random raw sample there?

Evening, John,
Actually, I am not so sure about that…
During the years, I have favoured overcooked
contrast/sharpness, but presently, I am more
fond of “a bit” less contrast, in order to squeeze out
more colour nuances. My preferences may well change
any day.

Let’s put it this way: there are about 436,537 ways to develop a RAW. The one you like is the right one for you — and the one I prefer is the right one for me…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

No worries. Any special way to upload???

Hmmm? I’m in five Facebook photography groups and almost everyone (not all) favours oomph!

Just follow the guidelines over there.

Hey Peter. I uploaded my only Pixel 7 Pro raw file directly from my phone. Seems like it was modified when transferring to my PC. If it looks sus, I’ll try to get you another one!

Take a look at the PlayRaw section under Processing.
There you will be shown many of the 436,537 different ways your RAW can be processed as mentioned by @Claes :wink:

… but please don’t forget to include the prober licensing phrase:
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution-Non Commercial, Share-Alike.

Art or DT might be a better choice for the moment…or an RT person can chime in if you can use the flat field like you can in ART. DT and ART support the gain maps in the google raw DNG files… This basically removes the strong vignette and bumps the lighting over all giving you a much better starting point. I think ART might even pick up embedded lens corrections for these… You will have to add strong contrast exposure and sharpening to these files. I have an older pixel… Usually its not worth the effort with the exception of artifacts… some times the computational decisions made by the pixel have weird artifacts and other issues that you can resolve by doing a raw edit… If you share one you will get some tips to try…

Also if googles camera app is still broken you won’t get a good raw if you use any zoom or at least digital zoom… So basically if you use open camera and zoom you will get the cropped in shot as the jpg and the full sensor image as the DNG… As you might expect. With the google app it will give you a cropped dng as well and the file size can often be smaller that the jpg so for example on my older pixel if I zoom all the way out my jpg might be 2mb file and the dng is a very crappy 550 K file. I have complained to google on numerous occasions and no one has ever even responded… With no zoom my dng are around 13mb in size . So I would just check out how this works on the 7 and if so and you are zooming in a fair bit the raw will be pretty useless…

Many thanks Todd. This was just a little bit of fun. The dng is 12.something MB so it’s probably the real deal!? For any serious images, I have a couple of pretty good mirrorless cameras.

Thanks. It is the maintained of Rawspeed who host the page, @LebedevRI , not me.

I have edited quite a few of them… I think there is a thread here with a style proposed by pixel 6 Pro user… It can come in handy… as I said my pixel is older and it does for the most part take nice pics for those passing moments but it can also do just weird things to faces and other aspects that don.t seem to be in the raw files so if the shot is important you can often get a rescue shot out of it… :slight_smile:

If you use RT Art will be familiar… I did a small series of profile checks… Adobe DNG converter is likely to have the DCP profile for the Pixel 7 that you could use in RT and ART. I can look if you are interested but as for comparisions… here is one I did in this thread on DNG phone images…

Actually I think you can use the dng itself as a dcp file if you want to try and use that as the input color profile and then you can use the 3 elements of the dcp file ie the tone curve the base and look tables to see how this impacts things compared to the auto curve that is likely the default when you open RT…

Embedded profile in Pixel DNGs is usually pretty solid, as long as you don’t have a day -1 phone that arrived before the camera app got updated. :slight_smile:

How would I use that with RawTherapee? I haven’t tried with Pixel 7 yet, but Pixel 6 DNGs needed a ton of color help.

Edit: Never mind - I just figured it out. Under Color Management, select ‘No Profile’ instead of Camera Standard’.

Is that using the official Google camera app or a third-party app?

Because “Camera Standard” is the choice for the embedded DNG profile, which is appropriate for every image I’ve taken with a Pixel 4 XL except for the day-zero shots taken before the camera app got updated. (Those had a bogus profile built in.)

I’ve heard a lot of third-party apps embed bogus profiles, in which case you might need to extract the appropriate tags from a DNG taken by the official app and throw them into a DCP profile.