PixelShift support

If I use PixelShift in camera (Pentax K-70) I get a large image file as an output. I can open this file and work with it. However, it doesn’t look like the image is any different from other .DNG RAW files. There should be a visible difference in tones and resolution. Obviously dt doesn’t offer support for this technology or at least not for Pentax camera files?
I have tried PixelShift2DNG, but dt will mit import the DNG output. This seems to be a Common Problem. Does anyone have a workaround? I have read about dcrawps, but not, if it works and how to install it.
Looking forward to enlightening answers.

Hi, yes dt does not support multiframe images, it loads only first frame. I didn’t try pixelShift2DNG. Rawtherapee can process pixelshift images. dcrawps should support multiframe images, becasue it is pretty much the same program to load raws as used in rawtherapee, but i dhon’t know if there is any user friendly way to do it.

Anyway i started work on support for darktable (discussed here Multiframe DNG support for darktable) here Support for multiframe DNGs by maruncz · Pull Request #350 · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub and here GitHub - maruncz/darktable at multiframe
But i cannot promise anything

1 Like

The most sophisticated processing of PixelShift files you have in RawTherapee :wink:

1 Like

Then there is hope at least. It’s a great feature and a shame, that I can’t take advantage of it. Until then I will keep using the camera utility suite and then work in its output.
Thanks alot!

Thanks, but I have put too much effort into mastering darktable to change software. Unless I have no choice, that is.

You don’t need to master whole RawTherapee for PixelShift. You can use it as a first step to process your PixelShift files, then export to tiff and further process in darktable, if you like.

You only need to master this part of RawTherapee:

grafik

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s great! Then I will probably use that technique, since I don’t really like working with DCU 5.

In case you have questions about RT PixelShift processing, don’t hesitate to ask. I can answer them, because I coded it :wink:

8 Likes

That’s really nice of you! For motion correction it says “custom” in the menu. What are your custom settings, if I may ask.

I simply used custom to expand the settings. For low ISO PS files I would use the default settings, maybe disable Check red/blue...

…and here is the first question: when exporting to TIFF, I can choose between 16 Bit TIF and 16 Bit floating TIF :exploding_head:. Which is the better choice?
Prior to exporting, which steps in processing should be performed in rawtherapee?
I have done the PS demosaicing and elementary processing steps only once now and I was blown away with the gain in image quality! I had no idea, what my camera is capable of. That’s truly amazing stuff!

Best regards
Daniel

If you have not done any significant SNR improvement to your raw image (i.e. HDR or some fancy noise reduction), then 16-bit integer is fine. In any case, dt supports both.

Please provide more details and a sample DNG if possible.

I will send a sample.dng tonight after work.

More details: source file is .DNG taken from Pentax K-70 (PixelShift enabled without mc). Import to the above mentioned Software: Analyze&Convert. Result is a converted (4 frames into one) .DNG file, according to Software Manual. When importing to darktable, there ist only a skeleton skull in lighttable and the file can not be opened in darktable.

How will I know, if you have been successful? Will it be announced?

watch this [WIP] Support for Pentax PixelShift by maruncz · Pull Request #11608 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
and of course, if it will be in next release, release notes will mention that

Okay, from what I just read, GitHub ist a Developer Environment for communication and exchange? You have created a tool to support multiframe demosaicing and processing for PixelShift and you have made it work, but it is not yet implemented in the regular version. It may be included in the next version though? Is that right?
Those are great News!!! Congratulations and thank you so much for all the hard work for those few pentax-users around.

yes, it may be

I’d still be interested in this PixelShift2DNG sample in the meantime…