[Play Raw] Book Burning - Different Light Colors

I’m starting work for an ongoing photo project that focuses on censorship, thought control, and the like. The theme is book burning. I have done one shoot so far. My challenge here is that the picture is partially lit by the fire from the burning book, and partially from the strobes that I used. I had forgotten to bring my flash gels, so I just shot with bare flashes. I’m curious to see how y’all interpret this photo. Maybe it looks OK in this one. Though I did do some more photos with a book bonfire where the fire is contributing more light to the photo.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)

Photography Credit to Me (Damon Hudac Photography)
Model: Mira Taylor (her Instagram)

Here’s what I have so far:

Other Files attached I think. If not, I will link them in a subsequent reply.

mira-playraw-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

Can’t post the raw. Stay tuned for the link to that.
Edit: here is the link: https://filebin.net/6zcw4o924elm4ik4

@patdavid, I keep getting a “file not authorized” when I try to attach the raw to this post. I’ve tried with a .CR2 and a .cr2 extension and errors both times. I will upload to another place and post link in following message.

1 Like

Raw file is hosted on File Bin here:
https://filebin.net/6zcw4o924elm4ik4

Darktable 0U4A5826.CR2.xmp (19.2 KB)

Black and white version

Darktable 0U4A5826_01.CR2.xmp (18.7 KB)

Darktable 0U4A5826.CR2.xmp (11.6 KB)

0U4A5826.CR2.xmp (5.9 KB)

2 Likes

My try, with darktable:

0U4A5826.CR2.xmp (8.4 KB)

1 Like

Using photoflow here to change the white balance only for the model (so as to match the light coming from the flame. Left her fingers cold though!) and cropped to emphasize the book burning part. Only these two changes.
0U4A5826.jpg.pfi (32.3 KB)

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check with @darix and see what’s going on!

do you get “permission denied” or “not authorized”?

Hi @Stampede

I went bit crazy with this one :slight_smile: !

I immediately thought it would be very appropriate for some kind of illustration - poster or something similar.

Made with GIMP (foreground extraction, dodging and burning, coloring, using curves) and G’MIC filter (smoothing, sharpening and using light leaks).

3 Likes

I’ve done something a lot more extreme using my local update of my Cascading Self-Glitching filter from G’MIC:

1 Like

Book Burning Is Evil versus This Witch Is Casting A Particularly Nasty Spell: A Delicate Balance, Or Excuse To Go Edgy?
Edgy Ember film sim from the “Creative Pack”
RawTherapee 5.4-dev

0U4A5826.CR2.pp3 (11.0 KB)

2 Likes

A bit too edgy for me. Taking a softer cheerful approach. :croissant:

1. photoflow → linear Rec2020 → blend mode → 32f
2. gmic → separate, mix, discard and combine tiles ⇒ pnmclahe → increase local contrast → gmic ⇒ brighten → resize → zoom 100% to enjoy!

2 Likes

Darktable and Gimp.

5 Likes

Midnight approaches :bat: :candle: and so it’s timely to enter the realm of the burning souls, ja ja ja {low-fi echo, more like a can in an alley}. As always thank ñu’s @Stampede for the file and everybody enriching our visual organizmss.

I don’t like this image; at many different levels… and that presented me with an interesting challenge: how to touch the warts of the witch in a way that could let me sleep without nightmares?

As primary potion, photoflow; BTW @Carmelo_DrRaw phf’s crashes hard when hitting the crop tool (mac 10.13.6 latest phf continuos build). In here I tried to deal with a “bizarre” lighting and set the foundation for a good aquelarre. Mira la brujita con su verruguita, eya mama sapa kema libru

0U4A5826.tif.pfi.zip (4.1 KB)

the onto gimp to use g’mic basically. As colours was not happy of me, shifted themA bit with the MCU digital panel driver screw cork, then the usual and Provia 100F (what a mind fuck good colour science these guys achieved, every time jar dropped, long live the colour engineers!!!) but not on her face… to avoid sun burns. Little angling, little cropping, little grain and before the sh constrain (fast fucker too :+1:).

Now we’ll see if I have nightmares, je je

1 to 1 crop of this lady

Cheers

PS … some things along the way

Looking good, and I love your editorializing! I’ll be working on a whole series of book burning pictures, so all these different interpretations are really helpful.

Thanks for posting your g’mic settings. I was not familiar with the PCA mixer. I’ll have to look at that some.

sorry, can’t explain in detail the workflow, has been messier than usual. Anyway at least 4 exports from rawtherapee then mixed together in gimp.
Oh, and shrinked 5% orizontally, look more witchy this way

4 Likes

Yes - definitely looks more witchy. Great stuff!

1 Like