[Play Raw] Daylight haze

Ten. I believe these ten windmills are near the Miradouro do Pico da Vara atop Sao Miguel in the Azores of Portugal.

Here’s a clearer view:

The shot could have been taken {18}{1\over4}\ \mathsf {km} away at one of the lookouts near Santa Iria:

An images.google.com search using my jpg with the descriptors sea coastal cliffs fjord led me to this wallpaper of a similar shot. The author had used the keyword Azores; modifying the search took me to Sao Miguel Island, so off to earth.google.com I went.

3 Likes

Nice sleuthing. I saw 10. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking at the historical data in Google Earth Pro, it looks like the windmills were built sometime between 2009 and 2013.

@HIRAM, this picture was geotagged manually, so location is not very precise.

Reading the gps tag online… Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer

Looks to be tagged a couple of towns away in Ribiera Grande.

Fixed it… in my collection ))) BTW, it would be great to show GPS heading information in maps mode. Those pictures tagged with GPS device have this information.

@timur Thanks for uploading this image!

It gave me (as well as many other forumers) great joy! Also, it made me test other modules in order to conquer the haze, which means that I had a chance to learn something new.

@james

… and to satisfy Claes…

Thank you. After all, the topic of the thread was to kill haze, wasn’t it? Not to hide the windmills :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

With Rawtherapee 5.5 - branch newlocallab, with 2 process

1. dehaze on all image
  2. Retinex on top of image with local adjustement
    Of course I could refine the work, enlighten the image, play on the contrast, but I wanted to do what we can do by adding “local” to the global

_DSC0653jdc

3 Likes

I tried to give the hazy top some extra definition. Some haze is nice :slight_smile:

_DSC0653_03
EDIT: Here is the sidecar (darktable 2.6):_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (18.3 KB)

1 Like

Same image as the first, but with local adjustement at th bottom , increase exposure _DSC0653jdc2_DSC0653jdc2.jpg.out.pp3 (16.6 KB)

Just a 100% crop of my version :wink: .

WM

Here’s my try…
_DSC0653

1 Like

Well, after a bit of experimenting I find gradient mask (with tone curve and/or contrast boost) to give best results on such kind of images.

mask

1 Like

What exactly is the dehazing process in dt or any other software. Is it simply a contrast change in a limited area?
David

I used masking (picture) and highpass

1 Like

My contribution with darktable 2.60

_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (7,7 Ko)

Not playin’ with Raw, but I felt like doing some object mapping again :slight_smile:
Used your photo, an airplaine by tysonhh and a lighthouse by jacobsiepker from blendswap
Was fun to make, thanks for the wonderful picture!

2 Likes

_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (3.6 KB)

so I was just feeling the need to play with gmic and found this.
so started with darktable using haze removal, filmic and local contrast
taking to to gimp then using dcp dehaze in gmic to make a mask and also a layer of dehaze which the mask was used on. after blending the 2 layers (foreground didn’t need dehaze any more)
applied some equalize local histograms and ‘Iain denoise 2019 beta’ and possibly local contrast enhancement. I might of missed something but that should mostly cover the idea

1 Like

Trying with darktable 2.7 …

1 Like

@danny Welcome to the forum!