[Play Raw] Daylight haze

Another picture with haze. This time in daylight conditions. Haze removal tool is of very little use in this case too. It works only on lower part of the image and doesn’t make any improvement in the most problematic, top part.

_DSC0653
_DSC0653.NEF (26.1 MB)
_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (1.1 KB)

Just to make myself clear, I’m saying that haze removal tool is fixed to certain lightness region and this is not adjustable. Probably someone could address this issue to our beloved developers )))

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)

Good morning, Timur,

I just made a swift play in darktable v2.7.0, where I just concentrated on the far-away-haze. (Which is just an excuse for not fixing the blue channel &c).

You are right in so far as one dehaze module is not enough, so I simply stacked four dehaze modules on top of each other :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Darktable
_DSC0653dt
_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (12.1 KB)

Rawtherapee
_DSC0653
_DSC0653.NEF.pp3 (11.8 KB)

My first attempt at Play Raw.

Darktable 2.4.4 (debian)

_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (8.2 KB)

5 Likes

Dehaze just by the darktable equalizer module.

_DSC0653
_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (4,6 KB)

My first try with RT 5.5
Could not get any better result with DxO

_DSC0653r2

Anyone know why my image is not is coming with a sidecar file like the others
2018-12-26_153604

2 Likes

Here a more complete development with darktable. Still no use of the haze removal module.

_DSC0653_01
_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (11,1 KB)

Darktable 2.6
As @Claes, I had to triplicate an instance, but instead of dehaze, it was filmic. The last two filmic layers were masked only to the top of the image. After that, I enabled a tone curve to reinforce the dehaze effect.

_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (12.0 KB)

EDIT: Did this at work and I’m not confident about the display colors.

6 Likes

@gadolf In Sweden we have a saying: There are many ways to skin a cat. Evidently, we can adopt the same proverb to dehazing an image…

So far, dehaze, equalizer and filmic modules have been used. Hm… any other modules that might be of use?

The ability to stack several instances is very powerful :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (7.0 KB)

There are no mice in Sweden??

@Claes very colorful saying, I like it. But here in Russia we say: No matter what (and how) you do during first wedding night, only one (good) result is expected of you :grinning: — haze removal is expected to remove haze )))

@gadolf, I’m not sure that second instance of your tone curve module can be considered as haze removal ))) It brings back some details in sky but reduced contrast in shadows remains the same. Nevertheless I do mostly the same way (with parametric mask) and tone curve settings like this:

tonecurve

But it requires a lot of fiddling with sliders of parametric mask :sweat_smile:

I’m not either, but since I came to this post from @shreedhar, I started to use the LAB lightness curve to remove haze instead of the haze removal tool, which I find too aggressive. Then, after the filmic tool arrival and its underlying theory about keeping the RGB proportions unchanged, I started to use an RGB curve instead of LAB, for that purpose.
PS: I’m delighted to learn about northern cultures through their sayings :smiley:

My take on this.
_DSC0653

1 Like

My take using RawTherapee:

I ca corrected, dual demosaiced and so on

_DSC0653

Edit: view at 100%

3 Likes

@heckflosse 100%, eh? For those of us with standard resolution monitors, you can downsize…

First in Filmulator1.0β

Then in RawTherapee5.5-dev, some color changes and dehaze.
_DSC0653-output.tif.pp3 (11.0 KB)

In RT 5.5, I used the LAB module, Haze removal module and Final Touch Up module together with edge sharpness of Wavelets to get this.
_DSC0653.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

EDIT: The photo was flat in lighting, colors were washed out and there was haze. Hence, used L, A, B curves to set the colors right (according to my monitor), the rest is to remove the haze and add contrast.
EDIT 2: I forgot to add that on top of what I did, you can also use local contrast module to further remove the haze (experiment with high radius and low amount) but it looked a bit artificial to me.

5 Likes

Hi all,

Hm. The results so far are still too hazy.

There are some windmills on the mountrain ridge
far, far back in the upper right part of the image.

Quest: How many windmills are there?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden