[Play Raw] Daylight haze

11?

I do not want to be problematic (just a little), but could we have them de-hazed?

I may be wrong - but I do not see 11 windmills. But of course, your monitor could be better than mine :frowning:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

There you go

windmills

(I think I’m cheating :roll_eyes:…)

DISCLAIMER: I took a printscreen from darktable zoomed at that area (very bright), pasted it on Gimp, exported to tif, opened it on DT, and applied filmic (auto tune, then tweaked black relative exposure)

1 Like

Good evening, @gadolf,

No, I do not think that you cheated – more or less any method would be OK in order to reach the correct answer.

BUT: You forget to answer the question!!! How many windmills are there?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

10?

:slight_smile: That is what I also think :slight_smile:

But the 11th, which Tamur found, might,
perhaps, be there as well (number 3 from
left in his foggy image).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Sidenote: Nothing against gimp, on the contrary, but I didn’t need to take a so complicated tour. I could have used the very easy duplicate manager from DT to make a copy, then crop it and apply the same filmic I did before… anyway…

RawTherapee (shamefully not upgraded to latest - so no dehaze tool for me!)
Mainly the graduated filter and a very custom tone curve, plus a bit of tone mapping to add back some local contrast.

Timur - Dehaze_DSC0653.NEF.pp3 (11.0 KB)

3 Likes

and to satisfy @Claes same as above but no resize and at 100%

1 Like

Ten. I believe these ten windmills are near the Miradouro do Pico da Vara atop Sao Miguel in the Azores of Portugal.

Here’s a clearer view:

The shot could have been taken {18}{1\over4}\ \mathsf {km} away at one of the lookouts near Santa Iria:

An images.google.com search using my jpg with the descriptors sea coastal cliffs fjord led me to this wallpaper of a similar shot. The author had used the keyword Azores; modifying the search took me to Sao Miguel Island, so off to earth.google.com I went.

3 Likes

Nice sleuthing. I saw 10. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking at the historical data in Google Earth Pro, it looks like the windmills were built sometime between 2009 and 2013.

@HIRAM, this picture was geotagged manually, so location is not very precise.

Reading the gps tag online… Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer

Looks to be tagged a couple of towns away in Ribiera Grande.

Fixed it… in my collection ))) BTW, it would be great to show GPS heading information in maps mode. Those pictures tagged with GPS device have this information.

@timur Thanks for uploading this image!

It gave me (as well as many other forumers) great joy! Also, it made me test other modules in order to conquer the haze, which means that I had a chance to learn something new.

@james

… and to satisfy Claes…

Thank you. After all, the topic of the thread was to kill haze, wasn’t it? Not to hide the windmills :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

With Rawtherapee 5.5 - branch newlocallab, with 2 process

1. dehaze on all image
  2. Retinex on top of image with local adjustement
    Of course I could refine the work, enlighten the image, play on the contrast, but I wanted to do what we can do by adding “local” to the global

_DSC0653jdc

3 Likes

I tried to give the hazy top some extra definition. Some haze is nice :slight_smile:

_DSC0653_03
EDIT: Here is the sidecar (darktable 2.6):_DSC0653.NEF.xmp (18.3 KB)

1 Like

Same image as the first, but with local adjustement at th bottom , increase exposure _DSC0653jdc2_DSC0653jdc2.jpg.out.pp3 (16.6 KB)

Just a 100% crop of my version :wink: .

WM