[Play Raw] Dockland lights

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.jpg.out.pp3 (10.3 KB)

With RawTherapee latest dev branch pull running on auto-built docker container. If you have docker you can docker pull kd6kxr/rawtherapee-dev or have a look at the Dockerfile. I’ve added a command to also update lensfun database.

FROM debian:testing

#   add the dependencies

RUN apt-get update && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install --no-install-recommends build-essential locales cmake git curl libcanberra-gtk3-dev libexiv2-dev libexpat-dev libfftw3-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libgtk-3-dev libgtkmm-3.0-dev libiptcdata0-dev libjpeg-dev liblcms2-dev liblensfun-dev liblensfun-bin liblensfun-data-v1 libpng-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev libtiff5-dev zlib1g-dev ca-certificates ssl-cert -y

#   prepare the environment

RUN locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
ENV LANG en_US.UTF-8
ENV LANGUAGE en_US:en
ENV LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8

#   clone source code, checkout dev branch

RUN mkdir -p ~/programs && git clone http://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee.git ~/programs/code-rawtherapee && cd ~/programs/code-rawtherapee && git checkout dev

#   update lensfun data
RUN cd ~/programs && curl -o lensfun-update-data https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benitoite/lensfun/patch-1/apps/lensfun-update-data && chmod +x lensfun-update-data && ./lensfun-update-data

#   configure build system and compile

RUN cd ~/programs/code-rawtherapee && mkdir build && cd build && cmake \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="release"  \
    -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="5-dev" \
    -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="1" \
    -DBUILD_BUNDLE="ON" \
    -DBUNDLE_BASE_INSTALL_DIR="$HOME/programs/rawtherapee" \
    -DOPTION_OMP="ON" \
    -DWITH_LTO="ON" \
    -DWITH_PROF="OFF" \
    -DWITH_SAN="OFF" \
    -DWITH_SYSTEM_KLT="OFF" \
RUN cd ~/programs/code-rawtherapee/build && make -j$(nproc --all) && make install

#   set the entrypoint command

LABEL maintainer="kd6kxr@gmail.com"
CMD echo "This is a test..." && ~/programs/rawtherapee/rawtherapee && echo "THATS ALL FOLKS!!!"
5 Likes

Darktable:
EOS_70D_IMG_0337
I didn’t enable denoise because it flattened the highlights, for some reason.
Edit: with HIRAM’s tips
EOS_70D_IMG_0337_01

5 Likes

@HIRAM how did you bring out the bokeh?

I neutralized the white balance on a certain piece of concrete, to eliminate the orangish haze, and then lowered brightness, ramped up the contrast, and enhanced the chromatic channels with various sliders.

3 Likes

Interesting building. Reminds me of the evilbuildings subreddit.

Every up and coming super villain aspires to create a particularly evil lair…

EOS_70D_IMG_0337-5.jpg.out.pp3 (10.6 KB)

2 Likes

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.xmp (14.3 KB)

My sky mask is pretty sloppy, but I have to get back to work!

1 Like

@gRuGo merci for the piradimage and to all pips tweasting arms, yoooo, up up :wave:

I liked what Hiram did, so I just applied a corrosive LUT in g’mic within gimp and played with transfusion packs (blend modes, don’t get mad). Grain and sharpening and 1 deg rotat and crop and save and voilà =)
EOS_70D_IMG_0337_gimp

Along the way many interesting byproducts
EOS_70D_IMG_0337_gimp_processing_web

@gRuGo: That’s Hamburg? Thanks for the image. A little overexposed.

EOS_70D_IMG_0337
EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.xmp (9.1 KB)

3 Likes

You inspired me

2 Likes

Dt EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.xmp (10.3 KB)

2 Likes

An attempt to give Sci-Fi look using RawTherapee dev 5.4-409-g99caa76f7

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.jpg.out.pp3 (11.1 KB)

1 Like

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.pp3 (12.6 KB)

I felt inspired.

First steps done in RawTherapee, giving this:

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.pp3 (10.2 KB)

Then I used my G’MIC “illustration look” filter in Gimp, followed by “freaky detail” to give this on the top layer:

I used G’MIC separate the foreground from the background sky, applied some gaussian blur to the sky, did some cloning/healing to give this final result:

3 Likes

Great highlight recovery, @sguyader!

1 Like

Hi @paperdigits, hi all,
I tried to import the cr2 with @paperdigits’ xmp, but darktable crashed. Has anybody had the same experience? I used the picture import, darktable 2.4.4, win10. Bachtrace is incluced below. Under Linux import worked fine…

darktable_bt_4YABLZ.txt (7,4 KB)

Nice! Super quick DT and Gimp edit:
EOS_70D_IMG_0337

Thanks for sharing!
EOS_70D_IMG_0337_01

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.xmp (29.7 KB)

I mentioned evilbuildings, but the more I looked at it, the more I wanted it to be hopeful. I present to you the Lunar Space Elevator where the UV back light is so very intense.

1. PhotoFlow → WB (none) → HL (blend mode) → DM (AMaZE, Lin Rec.2020, clip negatives).
2. gmic → B&W (copy) → dark and bright output.
3. enfuse → fuse dark and bright.
4. gmic → brighten → add contrast.
5. pnmclahe → add local contrast.
6. gmic → blend result with original to regain “colour” → negative → rotate → crop → resize → sharpen → add textures → zoom 100% to enjoy!

A bit late to the party, but this is such a nice image to work on… Thanks for that!

Here’s my take on it in darktable. I tried to go for a cinematic, somewhat moody atmosphere.

EOS_70D_IMG_0337.CR2.xmp (5.8 KB)