[Play Raw] Downhill walking street

Hello,
This is my first post here.
I took this pic at noon on a sunny day. Here’s my edit.

Here’s raw file.
DSC03838.ARW (24.3 MB)

License is CC BY-SA 4.0.

Hope that somebody could give it a better look! :grin:

3 Likes

DSC03838.ARW.xmp (4.4 KB)

Hello @baongoc124, and welcome!

I struggled with this … the leading of the eye by the lines of the road, kerb, footpath, fenceline, building skylines all work to some extent, although the bold vertical of the tan bricks on the right does interrupt the effect a little. It was particularly the way in which the colour of the pink flowers, green leaves, and pale blue sky kept my eye dancing around that made me try for a monochrome rendering. Then, because your title suggested the street was the intended subject, I wanted to reduce the very smooth sky’s visual draw, and grain in the sky now comes close to matching the grainy road surface; or, at least, that was my intention.

I do find the fences a distraction, but the leading lines are the most effective part of the capture, as I interpret it.

1 Like

@baongoc124 This is my take in RawTherapee 5.6. Warm and slightly melancholic. I had the same difficulties as @martin.scharnke with the framing. I would have crouched a little to take this picture I think. As a way to resolve this I played with the perspective sliders a little.

DSC03838.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

Also, the fine details in the buildings don’t play well with the demosaicing. But I guess that’s inherent to your camera.

1 Like

@martin.scharnke Thank you! You put everything into words so well. I can never do that.
I’m too struggling because I don’t know what to focus on in this picture… Maybe it’s not good. Although at first glance, I had thought I took a quite nice picture.

I like your edit although I feel a little pity for the flowers because now they look the same as the other trees. :smiley:

@Thanatomanic Oh, your crop works better. Now the building is barely in the way! Thanks!
About demosaicing, I haven’t been aware of it until now. Thank you for pointing it out!
My camera is Sony A6000 and lens is Samyang 12mm F2. I’m not sure what’s causing the problem though…

DSC03838.ARW.xmp (9.5 KB)

1 Like

DSC03838.ARW.xmp (8.9 KB)

3 Likes

My try in darktable. Thanks for the image!

DSC03838.ARW.xmp (6.9 KB)

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @baongoc124. Here is a simple edit in darktable.
DSC03838.ARW.xmp (16.0 KB)

3 Likes

@Thanatomanic pointed out one issue. I will point out another for Play Raw’ers with which to challenge themselves.

It happens with the CN Tower in [Play Raw] Toronto on mobile from bus. It would be great if someone could demonstrate how to rectify this distortion while keeping the rest of the image intact.

1 Like

@yteaot has solved it: crop it out :wink:

Is there lens correction available for this camera/lens combo?

@afre @paperdigits I dont’ think the LGV20 phone is very well supported :frowning:

Well aware of that. :slight_smile:

Uncertain whether standard lens correction solves it. I have done many a Play Raw where it doesn’t. And it is especially apparent with round man-made objects.

DSC03838.ARW.xmp (10.6 KB)
DSC03838_01.ARW.xmp (11.1 KB)

3 Likes

I might be late, but I’m here to add a bit of spice. By which I mean a lot of spice.

1 Like

@Joan_Rake1 brought the thread to the top of the list and it finally got my attention. I like your image pretty much like it is; I did crop a bit to put the convergence of the road on a third line:

Here’s what i did in my hack software, rawproc 0.9Dev:

• colorspace:camera,assign: Your camera’s primaries were found in RawTherapee camconst.json, which my software now reads for such.
  • subtract:camera: Your camera has a blackpoint subtraction in the image metadata, 512
  • whitebalance:camera: Used the RGB multipliers the camera put in the image metadata, sometimes referred to “as-shot”
  • demosaic:lmmse,1: I found lmmse demosaic produced the fewest of the artifacts pointed out in previous posts
  • blackwhitepoint:rgb,0,48: This scaled the raw image to display black (well, based on the above black subtraction, it was already there) and display white. I didn’t see any obvious clipping in the raw image, so the highlights didn’t seem to ‘blow out’
  • curve:rgb,0.0,0.0,22.0,8.0,123.0,131.7,255.0,255.0: An ‘S’ curve to put some contrast into the image, vice your original JPEG which looked “high-key”. Just goes to show, if your image is well-exposed, you can do a lot with the look…
  • crop:0.069930,0.134513,0.935418,1.000000: Per the description above. By the way, the left,top,right,bottom coordinates are in fractions; this lets a crop survive a resize or other operation that might mess with the image width and height.

Here’s a screenshot of your image in my software, with the curve in view:

Very nice image, Thanks!!

Nice photograph :slight_smile:

DSC03838.jpg.out.pp3 (11,8 KB)