[Play Raw] Downtown Chicago (4 files)

Here is an attempt inspired by architectural photography of Joel Tjintjelaar !

Just used Multiply and Screen blend modes with Layer masks and Gradient tool in GIMP. Here is the process:

1. Used Nufraw to convert to BW
  2. Duplicate the layer twice, change the top layer blending mode to Multiply or Screen. Add a white Layer mask and use Gradient tool to cut out some part.
  3. Apply the mask to image. Again put white layer mask, apply the gradient tool to cut out some more parts of the top layer.
  4. Repeat till you have isolated only the part that you want to darken/lighten. Adjust the tonality by Levels or Curves tool and merge down.
  5. Repeat step 2 to 4 till done.
6 Likes

My take of 0115 was a rush job with simplicity in mind. I mean I never use equalize but it worked. Now for 0183, which I had fun experimenting on for the past 2 weeks.

1 PhotoFlow → linear Rec.2020 (no clipping) → lens corrections → WB (direct sunlight).
2 gmic → make masks (sky) using various thresholds.
3 gimp → make master mask using masks and original.
4 gmic → brighten (copy) → soften and refine m mask → blend in sky from original → add contrast → sharpen (tone) → resize → sharpen (edge).

PS I forgot to deal with the fringing where the buildings and sky meet.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

I really like what you did with it! So happy to hear you’ve been having fun with it!

I should release a lakefront set next…:thinking:

Please do. I like vicarious tourism ! :wink:

1 Like

pixls.us educates! A new expression every day :wink: .

I’ll shoot some this weekend for y’all! I got a friend coming into town and I’ve been itching to shoot around the Museum Campus again!

Side note: great photographer! With long exposures, he kind of isolates the buildings from the background, as if he had moved them to a studio… he stresses the artistic side of architecture…
In your edit inspired by him, you could have gone further by blurring the clouds and the train :slight_smile:

Nice idea. Unfortunately, I didn’t think of it :disappointed_relieved: