[Play Raw] Fading Embers

I took this Photo on a recent trip to the alps. It shows what is left of the Stein glacier illuminated by the Alpenglow.

While the light is pretty, I find the scene pretty sad. That glacier used to reach to the little pond in the middle of the image when I was born in 89. By now it’s melting so rapidly that the decay is obvious by just looking at this photo I took less than 4 years ago.

I hope you enjoy editing the photo, I found the mix of the low contrast areas in the shade and the high contrast created by the pink sun light quite the challenge. And jep, the focus is not exactly optimal - oh well. :slight_smile:

DSC_5382.nef (38.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.

20 Likes

My try in dt 3.0.2. I understand how you feel - same thing here in western Canada with our glaciers - the retreat over time is very sad.

5 Likes

Beautiful and sad at the same time.

DSC_5382.nef.xmp (9.9 KB)

Beautiful scenery and a damn shame that human behaviour has such a devastating effect on it.

Not the easiest of edits, but fun to give it a go. Here’s my result:

dt310.fading.embers.nikon.d810.nef.xmp (37.4 KB) darktable 3.1.0

Thanks for sharing this one.

I agree, it is impressively sad how fast the retracting of the glaciers… on the other hand, the image is really amazing, and your edit is impressive.
Would you be willing to reveal your “secret sauce” and show your intermediate steps? I believe this could even turn out as a very good landscape processing tutorial!

I have started to play with this image, but I am still very far from what you have achieved :frowning:

DSC_5382.nef.xmp (7.1 KB) DSC_5382_01.nef.xmp (7.1 KB)

8 Likes

using RT dev build

DSC_5382.jpg.out.pp3 (19.4 KB)

Rawtherapee autom. level

with GIMP/G’MIC:

2 Likes

DSC_5382.nef.xmp (24.7 KB)

so nice, thanks for sharing! I tried to go for a “late evening” mood, and it turned out somewhat similar to yours – but that was unintentional :slight_smile: I used a different crop though…

DSC_5382.nef.arp (35.3 KB)
Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

RT 5.8

DSC_5382.jpg.out.pp3 (12,2 KB)

2 Likes

Difficult to improve such a nice picture. But here is my attempt

1 Like

Thanks for posting this wonderful picture
DT 3.0.2 (Aurelien’s Auto-filmic, 3D LUT Arapaho + custom color balance)

DSC_5382_02.nef.xmp (14.2 KB)

2 Likes

My submission using ART. I’ll assume this is the evening shot I wanted to get :sweat_smile:

DSC_5382.jpg.out.arp (14,2 Ko)

With Filmulator. I cropped the left side off because it pulled my eye out of the frame, and chose a 5:4 aspect ratio.

I also restored the white balance closer to normal daylight, because I love the blueish atmosphere you get in the high mountains.

• Auto CA Correct 5
  • Temperature 5905
  • Film Area large format (to enhance finer details)
  • Drama 83
  • White Clipping Point 0.395
  • Shadow Brightness 278
  • Highlight Brightness 1000
  • Vibrance 47

DSC_5382.nef.pp3 (15.3 KB)

DT 3.4.1.1

DSC_5382.nef.xmp (47,4 KB)

Since this thread has already been dug up by @saliniero , and the scenery is gorgeous, I’d been drawn to try my hand at it
I used masks and reverse multiply blending (with local contrast and black/w conversion) to manage contrasts and lighting effects, managed colors with channel mixer (from color calibration) and color zones. Now that I’m done a realize I could probably have used color balance to better manage some aspect of it …

The result is a little too low key to my test but I do not manage to tackle this elegantly so displaying as it came out.

Thanks for the gorgeous raw !

DSC_5382.nef.xmp (53.5 KB)

1 Like

ART

Went for a soft painterly look, using RT dev.

DSC_5382_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (21.4 KB)