[Play Raw] Forth Bridge at Sunset

I was out with my photography club on Tuesday evening, to take some sunset shots of the Forth Bridge.

Can’t say I was particularly inspired, mainly due to bad lighting, and feeling rushed by the other club members to hurry up! However here is a raw file which you may find fun to play with:

IMG_3246.CR2 (24.9 MB)

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License 2 by Brian Innes

And here is my take on it along with the darktable settings:

IMG_3246

IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

3 Likes

IMG_3246
darktable: IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (10.1 KB)

3 Likes

Rawtherapee: IMG_3246-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_3246

added 1.5 EV exposure compensation in DT and exported as floating point linear
IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (16.6 KB)
Dynamic range compression in RT
IMG_3246rta.pp3 (10.9 KB)
final adjustment
IMG_3246rtb.pp3 (11.1 KB)

1 Like

Nice photo @Brian_Innes. More than the color, I found structures in this photo very interesting. I therefore decided to go for a BW version. Used RawTherapee dev 5.4-409-g99caa76f7 to get the following.
IMG_3246BW-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

IMG_3246BW-1

Edit: Since click to enlarge is not working, please open the photo in a new tab by right clicking on the image and see the enlarged version.

4 Likes

IMG_3246
IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (8.5 KB)

1 Like

IMG_3246

Darktable IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (9.2 KB)

IMG_3246 IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (8.6 KB)

IMG_3246dt
IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (43.7 KB)

Nice one to play with! Here’s my try in darktable:

IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (8.2 KB)

2 Likes

@Brian_Innes merci for the parkinson bridge (ju-ju just kidding :stuck_out_tongue: ) and :high_heel:, I mean high fives for all good processing monkeys out there =)

I’ll try and be suscint {straitjacket, uummhhghh!!}

→ Photoflow (limping like a motherfucka :metal: :penguin: :thermometer: :ice_cream: in the mojave desert)

IMG_3246.tif.pfi.zip (4.2 KB)

From gimp (only a slight curva), otherwise all heavy lifting by G’mic
For a change of pace, a downscaled xcf with all layers (still ~140 MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsLHQxojQqdU6-sUiet8OolsDNG7FkGB/view?usp=sharing

Thinking loud

Cheers

1 Like

I am enjoying everyone’s take on this one. :sunny: I had a brief go at it but couldn’t come up with a good result. :sweat_smile:

Filmulator 1.0.0b1 > RawTherapee 5.4-dev
IMG_3246-output.tif.pp3 (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Lots of interesting takes on my picture :slight_smile: Photographically I still don’t think it’s a particularly great image I took, but certainly looks like everyone is having fun with it :-). Might have another go at reprocessing my own version.

1 Like

Very nice image to play with! Here’s my take:

IMG_3246.CR2.xmp (8.9 KB)

2 Likes

I had trouble with the rocks and background at the far end of the bridge.

The problem might be the framing but as you said you were in a hurry.

Here is my take.

1. RawTherapee → AMaZE+VNG4 → filter pixels → tone mapping (CIECAM02) → DR compression → linear Rec2020 → 32f
2. gmic → flatten contrast (curve)
3. pnmclahe → enhance contrast
4. gmic → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → boost chroma (curve on LCh) → smooth (low freq)
5. GIMP → heal stains and line in sky
6. gmic → sharpen → resize

Thought I’d try a classic wide angle shot with interesting foreground, usually taken low down keeping sunset feel. Crunched up histogram in RT and adjusted a bit then cie. I like to see post reduction sharpening live so switched to fotoxx to do that and added a diagonal brightness ramp running off blue sky and tiny touch up with a curve to boost contrast up to mid range and reduce past that undoing the ramp a bit.

IMG_3246.CR2.pp3 (10.2 KB)

Thanks. Interesting one to work on.

Doh - maybe should be a touch ligher.
John

1 Like

Left background the same - I hope. Gimp. Duplicate to another layer, Gradient layer to brighten rocks. Adjusted the gradient with levels. Gmic local contrast, Layer mask and painted the rocks to show.

John

1 Like

Rawtherapee and GIMP multiple layers

2 Likes