[Play Raw] Morning Light

I went for a high-key, desaturated look and a panoramic crop:

DSG_1642.jpg.pfi (57.5 KB)

2 Likes

With Gimp & GMIC

5 Likes

Photoflow:

DSG_1642.pfi (35.1 KB)

This an experiment using only linear operations, no curves, no filmic. Nearly everything happens in a Colour Adjustment layer which uses only the slope and offset controls. I cheated a bit on the sky because the clipped area had some nasty colour shifts: the sky uses a gradient mask and desaturates and tints using a pair of colour adjustment layers.

4 Likes

Here is my edit. I didn’t like the bright rays on the bottom. I found them distracting so I cut them out. It looks like a cold day. Which means crisp air. Added some blue to the highlights and sharpened a bit to make transitions a bit harsher.

Edit: Here my xmp file
DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (9.8 KB)

2 Likes

What an awesome PlayRAW. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Son and I have camped here twice since this first visit, and none of those subsequent visits yielded a morning quite like this first one. Goes to show you - Get Out There, and Frequently!

1 Like

morning.light.pp3 (24.0 KB) RawTherapee (dev + spot removal)

First of all: Great shot Glenn!

I’ve been honing my RawTherapee skills and was looking for a quality shot that presented some challenges. Always thought this one to fit that category.

I think that I’m finally at a point that I’m feeling somewhat comfortable using RT. There are still the occasional duds though…

Looking at the other edits here I don’t think I created anything especially outstanding, but I do think it is worth sharing. I did try to emphasize that early morning ground chill/frost together with the early morning suns rays warming up the trees. The balance between haze and detail/contrast is interesting to play with in this one.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this one!

EDIT: Noticed a small spot that still needed removing.

5 Likes

Thanks, that was a truly great morning, frost and mist and autumn leaves. Been back to the same site a number of times since, not quite so magical…

Colorado has been quite dry of late, I’ve had to shift my creative thinking to more sharp, contrasty compositions.

love it when a great Play Raw shot gets bumped :slight_smile:

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (41.6 KB)

5 Likes

Late to the party… DT 3.3

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB)

2 Likes

Missed this one, glad it got bumped.

DT 3.2.1

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (19.0 KB)

1 Like

I have felt unconfident about trying on this beautiful image, but after my recent ELI5 on Filmic post, here is my stab at it. As usual for me, I try to imagine actually seeing the scene and going for that look.

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (9.2 KB)

6 Likes

I like it. You kept a bit more blue in the sky than I did, and you have more definition in the overall scene using more contrast.

I just love PlayRaw for this; I’ve learned a lot processing others’ images, debugged a lot of goofiness in rawproc too. Good to give back…

1 Like

Looks like you are getting there the more you do. I like it too.

1 Like

Very nice edit indeed!

1 Like

Ha! I bet it was in the sky, left-hand side. Whatever it is, it’s on the D7000’s sensor, will eventually get to cleaning it as my kid-glove angst transfers from it to the Z 6… :laughing:

DSG_1642.xmp (16.6 KB)

2 Likes

@ggbutcher Beautiful image!
Here is my take with darktable 3.4, playing with the new release.

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (22.6 KB)

4 Likes

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (23,4 KB)

3 Likes

I spent 6 years looking out my living room window at Pikes Peak, when I was stationed at Falcon AFS.

2 Likes