[Play Raw] Morning Light

Right now, staring at the other side of Pikes Peak, from a cabin at Mueller state park. Had three snowfalls during our stay, about 12 inches total. Would post a picture, but dodgy internet…

2 Likes

Back home, with not-so-dodgy internet…

Here’s a snapshot from this morning, looking at the cabin from a nearby campsite. Pikes Peak is in the distance, occluded by the clouds.

Looking at three layers of snowfall, each at least 3 inches, last night’s about 5".

The site where I took the picture that is the subject of this thread is about 50 miles west of this location.

3 Likes

This is a good Play Raw candidate.

1 Like

Gorgeous! My daughter lives in Denver, and she has been enjoying the snow. Was skiing weekend before last.

raw file poorly exposed. the snow in the photo is gray, not white. also the contrast is weak and the color is dull. could you throw off raw file?

It’s intentional as to avoid overexposing the sky and snow.

Oooooh I loved this one. Tried to make it soft (which I tend to do a lot) and all about the color palette (which was easy because the colors were right there).

RT5.8

DSG_1642.jpg.out.pp3 (13.5 KB)

2 Likes

@Alpacalypse Your last two edits are quite low contrast compared to the others’ work. Is that intentional, or something wonky with your colour management, monitor or room lighting?

100% intentional. In my journey of finding-my-style™ I’ve found that I like the aesthetics of lifted blacks and somewhat lower contrast since often times it looks less… cluttered(?) or more calm I guess. So in Play Raws I’ve been trying to recreate that. In this case I’m quite pleased with the result. The group portrait didn’t quite work that well but at least it was educational. :slight_smile:

I get that this is not everyone’s cup of tea, though, especially from a technical standpoint. And I’m also still not quite there yet. Sometimes I still like to add some punch without losing that look which probably means I need to crush some details but yeah, consistently finding that sweet spot is kind of my mission right now.

Style is fine: just checking. You did say you wanted soft but I didn’t know if it meant what you just explained.

Hi, this is a nice picture.
I tried to get a cold soft valley and a warm Forrest/sunlight.

dt 3.5.0

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (16.3 KB)

2 Likes

Very nice landscape, thanks for sharing. Are there no fences for your cattle ?

Definitely a panorama imho.

dt 3.5.0 sigmoid

DSG_1642_02.NEF.xmp (9.1 KB)

1 Like