[Play Raw] My Great-Great-Aunt Oona

G-G-Aunt Oona Saunders, Schoolteacher. Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License by Richard Barber.

B/W above processed in RawTherapee:IMG_4146.CR2.pp3 (10.7 KB)

Colorized in iDeepColor and GIMP:

4 Likes

DT IMG_4146.CR2.xmp (32.9 KB)

EDIT: Necklace repaired

2 Likes

GIMP and G’MIC

Is it not striking that, just because of lighting, the angle of her face looks different in this version (as opposed to that in @HIRAM and @yteaot) ?

1 Like
1 Like

This was fun! Processed the raw in darktable, colorized manually in gimp:
IMG_4146

2 Likes

@HIRAM Played with the raw last night but couldn’t figure out the mood and colors. (I am not good with colors in general and my screen is terrible.) Could you tell us more about Oona, and when this photo was taken and perhaps by whom? The more context the easier the post processing is for me.

This is what I came up with last night, a very quick and rough first take. A split tone look. I used the first image in your original post, not the raw. G’MIC+GIMP:

@yteaot Something going on with the necklace and other parts of the image…

@shreedhar, I find it more striking that your version was flipped horizontally! :smiley:

Glad you learned the power of observation. Schoolteacher Oona is proud of you.

oona-afre-test-crop
Crop test I also tried last night. Kind of meme worthy, don’t you think, no disrespect intended.

Oona Arabelle Saunders
b.1889 Elgin, Nebraska, US
d.1949 Joplin, Mississippi, US

Married my Great-Grandfather’s (her brother’s) best friend and had one child who served in the USAF. Sold home to be with son in Joplin. Cared for ill sister later in life.

3 Likes

Is it? :sweat: Now I remember that I did a 180 degree vertical flip in RT before going to GIMP. THAT changed left right orientation too! My bad :joy:

1 Like

Right, it is actually not a horizontal flip as @elGordo said but a vertical one. In any case, it makes your take all the more interesting, like looking in the mirror.

2 Likes

I’d argue that. Try Image>Transform>Flip Horizontally and Image>Transform>Flip Vertically i Gimp and see which one makes poor ol’ Oona stand on her head. But then I could be trapped in one of those fake Godwin’s Law memes.

FYI, the portrait is upside down in the raw but just in case I spent 15 min deciding whether I was the crazy one. Which means that @elGordo hasn’t played with the raw yet, tsk tsk.

My try using Darktable & PortraitPro

withe the associated xmp file
IMG_4146.CR2.xmp (4.2 KB)

1 Like

Guilty as charged. :wink:

My version with Gimp and darktable.

Continuing this old conversation:

Colorized by deOldify

Interesting.