[Play Raw] Nightscape from Orange Free State

Since I was bragging about nightscape here it is. Way over D610 capabilities on ISO 6400. Do not try to get 100% print, 67% is respectable result. Color balance is out, picture was taken in Orange Free State under second class dark sky. Here is my quick processing in darktable
DSC_0573
here are settings which are to repeat again quick processing DSC_0573.NEF.xmp (8.6 KB)
and finally there is raw to play with https://drive.google.com/open?id=16heREd6s5mRvZE74mlXMlbGufiGv1iPM
it is CC BY-SA 4.0, enjoy

3 Likes

DSC_0573

I don’t think I’ve done a PlayRaw on a starry night before. I liked it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love this capture. Post work in Darktable 2.4.4

DSC_0573

DSC_0573.NEF.xmp (9.3 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_0573_01
DSC_0573.NEF.xmp (6.3 KB)

Here’s my take, with DT 2.4

10 Likes

What is the true color of a starry sky?

See this interesting read for some insight: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/color.of.the.night.sky/

2 Likes

DSC_0573-2
Latest dev Rawtherape :slight_smile:
DSC_0573.NEF.pp3 (13.6 KB)

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I haven’t (yet!) been abducted by aliens and replaced by a someone a lot tamer.

3 Likes

In my state there’s a house on every street corner with an orange tree in the front yard.
It’s a Free Orange State.

DSC_0573 DSC_0573.NEF.pp3 (11.2 KB)
RT 5.4-dev
Gradient filter at the bottom to get a few more stars.

2 Likes

Thanks for this nice shot!
My try in darktable, gimp (background substraction) & darktable again.

DSC_0573

5 Likes

Call it “artistic license” :slight_smile:

To find processing ideas I am usually watching Harry Durgin channel and his darktable lectures, for example Darktable edit #7 - Milky Way and Palm Trees

“Stop Making Sense” :joy::joy::joy:

My take with Rawtherapee 5.4

DSC_0573.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

1 Like

Here is another RawTherapee attempt.
DSC_0573.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

DT DSC_0573.NEF.xmp (3.5 KB)

3 Likes

This is also my first starry PlayRaw. I enjoyed it very much and hope the result pleases you. :slight_smile: Since I am new at this, feedback is appreciated. Well, feedback is always welcome. :wink:

The processing was less minimalist this time. In RT, I used RCD+VNG4, and CA and defringe correction. In G’MIC, I did a few random things that made it look more interesting.

1. RawTherapee → HL mode (blend, 100) → defringe → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → RCD+VNG4 (auto, no border) → CA (auto) → filter pixels → 32f
2. gmic → fix problematic pixels → crop (1.5:1) → blends (retinex, negate) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → blends (negate, grainextract, erode) → blend gradient (reverse hue) → adjust chroma (curve) → resize

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

4 Likes

Glad that you like it, nightscape.
Feedback, now we are entering ‘de gustibus non disputandum’ no arguing about tastes.
Maybe I should explain why I processed it way I processed it, what are my goals.
Shot is one of four attempts to do something before Moon is up. After driving two hundred kilometers and finding place to test Irix 15mm on Canon 60Da and Nikon D610 I went for Milky Way stack.

ISO 6400 is OK for stack since stacking will remove noise. Naturally it was freezing and I forgot to lower ISO for single shots. ISO 3200 would be acceptable and processing much easier.
When dealing with this type of picture I try to preserve data, noise is bad but loss of data is worse. Mega pixels are horrible things to waste :wink:
Foreground, gives some minimal contribution to composition, dirt road to Milky Way. Also it demonstrates dynamic range. Though pylons have about the same purpose, composition. Light pollution immediately above ground is unavoidable. I dealt with vignetting and finally made Milky Way more prominent. CA, defringing and hot pixels are common steps in this type of processing.
BTW Canon 60Da is not good for nightscapes.

I certainly embraced the light pollution and vignetting. :smile: Put the orange in Orange Free State. :orange_heart:

Light pollution is there and you can only look at it, sad facial expressions are appropriate :sob:. That is second class dark sky, about 20 kilometers South from Heilbron. To get 95mm light pollution filter is very expensive exercise, with holder and adapter comes close to price of lens. If you were thinking that photography is expensive hobby - try astrophotography :crazy_face: