[Play Raw] Pittenweem Sea Swimming Pool

A photo from last week. Not the best of weather, so I opted for a B&W conversion. It would be interesting to see what others made of this.

This is the old sea water swimming pool, at Pittenweem, Fife. Original raw file from the camera:

IMG_2396.CR2 (25.4 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike 1)

My attempt at processing:

And the .xmp file for darktableIMG_2396.CR2.xmp (6.7 KB)

Not the most stunning of photographs, as there doesn’t appear to be anything which captures the viewers eye. However at the time I did a 10 minute ambient sound recording of the sounds at the sea side, so if nothing else, this image would be a good backdrop to the video I’m going to make using this audio recording.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. The ambient ebb and flow of the oscillating fan in the other room is having an interesting effect on me as I view this photo. :ocean:

1 Like

I will try to prove you wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It is a nice image, actually. Here is my take. Turned out better than I expected.

1. RawTherapee → AMaZE+VNG4 → pixel filters → Rec2020 linear → auto-matched curve → rotate and perspective → 32f (A).
2. gmic → L* D50 → reduce contrast ⇒ pnmclahe → local contrast (B).
3. gmic → append channels L* (B) and a*b* (A) → reduce chroma → increase contrast → sharpen → resize → zoom 100% to enjoy!

7 Likes

IMG_2396

Darktable IMG_2396.CR2.xmp (9.5 KB)

1 Like

@afre, lovely edit. Your version looks more to me like what I saw at the time. I may try a similar (but less complicated!) edit myself, for submission into one of my photography clubs monthly competitions :slight_smile:

IMG_2396
darktable: IMG_2396.CR2.xmp (5.8 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_2396.CR2.pp3 (11.7 KB)
IMG_2396_

2 Likes

I think it looks beautiful when blue sky and water contrasts with the soft, warm light of the beach.

IMG_2396

7 Likes

This version would need a steak around it’s neck for at least a dog to play with it. And I see that similar colours have already been used.

IMG_2396_dt_med

IMG_2396.CR2.xmp (8.0 KB)

I like how Boris did it.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t know if I overdid it. Usually, it has to sit a while before I know. Judging by the likes, I guess it is more than okay. :blush:

cropped it so that the land mass and the white table on the left and the steps on the right lead attention to the swimming pool and cropped the sky so as to give an impression of it being an infinite pool (like the so called infinite displays on some of the mobiles these days!).
IMG_2396-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

A thought: Small aperture like f16 is not really needed for a 10mm lens. I think that diffraction has caused some loss of sharpness.

3 Likes

IMG_2396
IMG_2396.CR2.xmp (7.5 KB)

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the interesting and colourful results!

I was actually surprised at how much colour could be pulled out from the original raw file, which looks much better than my initial B&W conversion. Certainly I think the image is stronger as a colour image, than a B&W, as the eye can see the difference in colour between the sand, and the concrete walls and the rocks and algae.

So I’ve had another play with the image (that’s the beauty of non destructive editing in the likes of Darktable), and here is my current version:

IMG_2396_01.CR2.xmp (8.7 KB)

And a 2:1 crop, which I think may work better:

IMG_2396_02.CR2.xmp (11.0 KB)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing a little with the new mixer [PCA] in g’mic :slight_smile:

Thanks.

IMG_2396.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB)

UPDATE: A slight exposure increase in the foreground (editing seems to be endless… when to stop?)

2 Likes