[Play Raw] Positive slide from the sixties

Very good case for my color-neutralizer, in the color balance module of darktable. With auto-hue neutralization:

Then tweaked further to my taste:

To remove the mold, the best option I can think of is:

1. Create an high-pass layer with a radius that matches the mold micelles
  2. Invert that layer
  3. Apply it in subtract mode
  4. Use a parametric masking centered on green
  5. Maybe use a brushed mask to isolate the mold from the grass
5 Likes

@Thomas_Do Thanks, that’s a pretty simple but highly effective solution! I used it on other scans with the same problem and it just works.

1 Like

Here is another version using the latest [RT 5.5 RC1]. I used RGB curves, the Haze removal, Soft light, Film Simulation and Wavelet modules.
IMG761.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @shreedhar,

I have compared this one with your last development, on Nov 21.
This one has more depth!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Yeah @Claes, I agree. I think the Haze Removal tool is very useful here.

I wonder if such strong magenta casts were standard for that film. Did people in the dark room regularly have to wrestle with such casts? Or is this the repercussion of time passing or?

IMG761-2.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

Morning, Stefan!

Not that I remember :slight_smile: The films were developed using certain processes, like E-6, used for Ektachrome, Fujichrome and other slide (colour reversal) films, or K-14 for Kodachrome, and so on.

That is what I believe.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Me too. But I have other slides from the same time that still show superb, natural colors. When I brought them to editing, I couldn’t find anything left to do regarding tone mapping. My brother raised a question whether chemicals could react differently depending on the exposure values, for example, under exposed images would degrade faster and maybe present some color cast even from the beginning. Who knows.
Look at this one, from the same time:

EDIT: The Zeiss Contaflex that shot the girls picture is with the third guy from right, who happens to be my father.

Rawtherapee and GIMP, I tried to regain some detail in the shadows in the ditch.

@aka_andrew I can’t see the image, seems to be broken.

Seems to be there for me ?

Uploaded again in jpg format

1 Like

Not for me. I also get nullxnull.
Edit: your new one I see.

I decided to go with B&W because I am not good with colours. Did minimal processing as comfortable. Removed some of the blemishes but not all of them for effect.

1. gmic → crop (1.5:1) → inpaint cracks → local contrast (guided) → norm → smoothstep (curve)
2. GIMP → heal (dark spots on face)
3. gmic → sharpen (LoG) → resize

2 Likes

@chroma_ghost This was the idea: the mittened kitten makes a surprise appearance. (Sorry about the poor blending.)

1 Like

only you to take 2!!! playraws to whole another level. It is funny (juxtaposed meaning) but more than that it is the gesture, the one that Gustavo’s father started - when (probably) intrigued by the public secrecy of the two amiguinhas - he tried to “sieze the mü” and follows by his son sharing it and us messin’ with it and you bringing it all together. That’s a fucking real chain, energy going through different vessels, touching different kind of folk; that is far more primitive than pixls or a palette (which are but tools), that’s something bigger than Life, that’s art ,-) … from which aesthetics is just the wrapper. Sufi say (Idries Shah?) Not the man or the means but the work. These are expensive words, tonight you’re (my) mucho master @afre … bones creek, a hand holds onto the back as pain arises… I bow (we are here now, here and now)

gashô

Wanted to give it an uneasy look.

Meanwhile, if you happen to have an experimental rock band hanging around, how’s this for an album cover?