[Play Raw] Stony path

Shot this earlier today on a walk by the river. Grad river in Kitchener, Ontario (by the Fairway road bridge). Location is more or less here:

43°26’45.9"N 80°23’53.2"W
Grand River South, Kitchener, ON
(Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/PqLALvsMKKAXQF9n7)

Raw:
S7_03988.ARW (47.2 MB)
S7_03989.ARW (47.2 MB)
S7_03990.ARW (47.2 MB)
S7_03991.ARW (47.3 MB)
PP3: S7_03990.ARW.pp3 (13.3 KB)
These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Now this one’s a bit tricky! It’s a 4 photo stitched panorama (of course done with HUGIN) after processing the raw files with RawTherapee.

Lens: Vivitar Auto Macro 55mm f2.8 (Konica AR mount used with adapter) - ~$180 CAD on ebay | A review
Camera: Sony a7-II

4 Likes

@Claes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

a-a-S7_03988-a-S7_03991.jpg.out.arp (11.6 KB)

For each photo
S7_03988.ARW.arp (11.3 KB)

1 Like

thank you!

Raws stiched in HUGIN before editing the Tiff in RT:

S7_03988 - S7_03991.jpg.out.pp3 (12,0 KB)

2 Likes

Here is my take on this raw processing/stitching … this is a flow I used for years and I’ve always first processed the raws (DT) then exported and stitched it with hugin and last I sometime use “heal selection” in gimp to fix transparent patches at the borders (when I pushed the hugin crop too wide).
@sovereign I never though possible to stitch RAW s and then process the result in DT or RT … but I’ll try right away !!! It sound so convenient ! Is Tiff a non “demosaiced” format ? or is some of the raw latitude lost after the initial stitching process ?

I’m really interested in perfecting the most efficient way to do this :slight_smile:

I somewhat overblown the blue-green in the process of re saturating the image … but the general idea of what I had in mind s there.

@stefan.chirila have you exposed to the left on purpose ? Nice spot !

1 Like

Tiff is a processed raw like jpg, but at least it can have a bit depth of 16-bits per channel and can be compressed using lossless compression which is free of artifacts.

2 Likes

First I adjusted all the images in the same way in Darktable:S7_03988.ARW.xmp (5.1 KB)

I then combined the Tiff16 images saved from Darktable in Hugin:S7_03988 - S7_03991.pto (10.8 KB)

Finally, I adjusted Hugin’s tiff16 image in Darktable and saved it as a jpg image:S7_03988 - S7_03991.tif.xmp (4.0 KB)

1 Like

Nice shots, funny game :slight_smile:

DT 3.0.1 RAW → 4 JPGs → Hugin Project → 1 TIFF → DT 3.0.1 for final corrections

1 Like

“Natural” look.

S7_03988 - S7_03991.tif.xmp (22.9 KB)

1 Like

@sovereign @clind another thing you can do is to do a light processing on the raw files, in order to give them nice sharpness (to give Hugin an easier time stitching), then stitch them and save the stitching profile …then go back and do some nice colour edit of the raw files, and automatically apply the stitch profile to the new edit.

I’ve never worked with tifs, i always wanted to and didn’t get around to. I should try. i wonder how differently colour changes apply to a tiff rather than the actual raw file (apart from the changes that demosaic algorithms can give)

I’ve used the technique you describe several times to correct things after seeing the stitched result … but to be able to work on the stitched panorama in DT directly would be much more convenient !

I gave this a attempt as I am evaluating darktable currently to see if I want to use it as my processor. Still struggling on finding what I want to use.

Anyway I merged the panorama with affinity photo unprocessed then brought it into darktable as a tiff for the edit. Hopefully I did not over process :blush:

stonypathmerge.tiff.xmp (10.0 KB)

2 Likes

no you didn’t, it looks great!

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.8 - Hugin

1 Like

S7_03988_pano.tif.xmp (7,9 KB)

1 Like