[Play Raw] Warning: Baroque can harm your eyes

A bit overkill, but I checked on the internet and found one picture that shows that my colors aren’t far from reality. I was really puzzled by that ocean blue on the balconies, but hey, aren’t they like that? Also, take note that a bright sunny day light comes from behind, bringing a strong blueish hue to some areas of the image.

This one results from four sets of seven 1/2 step apart exposures. After compressing each one of the sets with hdrmerge, I stacked the four resulting frames on Gimp to get rid of my camera’s traditional noise. I also used alpha channels with enfuse for the first time and, although a laborious process, I had fun with it.
To here, I’m bringing only one of the raw sets for the sake of simplicity.

CRW_1594.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1596.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1599.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1600.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1595.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1597.DNG (17.8 MB)
CRW_1598.DNG (17.8 MB)

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)
EDIT: Information about this church here. I quote: " African slaves provided the physical labor required to build the monastery." And lots of gold and silver inside… this is Brazil.

5 Likes

Converted raws to 16-bit tiff, combined the images with enfuse and tried to get a “natural” look with darktable.
Thanks for the shots :slight_smile: .

1 Like

… and an B&W version.

Colonialism at its worst. Such opulence is unfit for monastic life, on the backs of slaves at that.

PS Corrected the spelling of Baroque and added the #play_raw tag.

2 Likes

I decided after a few tries with LuminanceHDR on the raws that the combined noise was just too high. I ended up a bit like uncle Ernie on Tommy (google “Fiddle About”) in that I used digiKam to do an exposure merge, export as TIFF. Import TIFF into Darktable to use its awesome automatic geometry tool, save as EXR. Load into Gimp for levels, curves and an adjustment to the overal color temperature. Gmic higpass on a 25% opacity layer.

My only excuse is that the tools are all there and each have their own little tweaks I am comfortable with,

2 Likes

My attempt with even more overkill

My eyeballs need a rest

Your words, my words. 500 years under such commandments (opulence, robbery, slavery), blessed by God, is a hell of an heritage, and people think it’s past, but I’m sure it isn’t. But let’s not digress.

Thanks for the fixes. I mixed English with portuguese, which is Barroco.

@CriticalConundrum You got almost the same noise reduction I did without the stacking. How??

:sunglasses:

Regarding noise, the game was not fair for you, since I used four rounds of seven exposures :smile:

I ran a 16 bit tiff output from Rawtherapee through the Nik DFine 2 plugin because it is automatic and I was lazy. I’m pretty sure you can tweak the noise reduction in Rawtherapee to get the same result, using detail recovery and curves. I like to spend my time on the colors and such.

1 Like

Went for simplicity. As usual, I use multiple apps: dcraw, gmic, enfuse and darktable. Power of friendship. :rainbow:

1 dcraw → linear 16-bit TIF of darkest and brightest exposures.
2 gmic → interpolate unwanted pixels.
3 enfuse → weigh for contrast.
4 gmic → smooth (guided) → brighten.
5 darktable → semi-auto perspective correction → crop.
6 gmicglobal contrastslightly desaturate → local contrast → sharpen (tone) → resize → sharpen (edge).

Edit: The image above needs more contrast. Changes in italics. Here is v2:

1 Like

HDRMerge + RT 5.4 + GIMP. Tried to create a 3-D effect by light painting in GIMP.

2 Likes

I edited my earlier post. I realized that the contrast was lower than I would have liked it. I also reduced the saturation. Hope you like version 2.

Could you elaborate on this?

I’m not suprised by the ocean blue balcony fencing, a color/pattern (the blue stripes) reminiscent of garments of the tribe of David, and its position aloft significant of specifically Mary’s genealogy.

1 Like

Nothing fancy really. The obvious light source seems to be from the skylights. So just thought that I will create a beam of light flooding the main statue and reaching the white cloth on the altar. The rest should be darker.
To implement this, I just duplicated the layer twice, made the top layer blend mode to screen. Put in a black layer mask and used gradient tool (FG TO BG) to apply it only on the left 2/3rd of the image. Applied that mask to the image and again repeated the same with right 2/3rd selected. When I apply it, the screen blend is visible only to the middle 1/3rd. Merged down this layer.
Repeated the same till I satisfied with the result.
Since foreground and the sides are darker than the top center of the image, I feel it gives a 3D effect.

1 Like

Many interesting and different interpretations, even showing that noise isn’t a bad thing necessarily :+1:

Here’s my workflow:

1 - 4 x 7 x DNG → Hdrmerge - dynamic range compression of the seven different exposures → 4 x DNG

2 - 4 x DNG → Rawtherapee - Noise reduction and bad pixels → 4 x TIF 32 bit floating point and REC2020

3 - 4 x TIF 32 bits floating point and REC2020 → Gimp / G’mic → stack the 4 images (median) to reduce noise → TIF 32 bits floating point and REC2020

4 - TIF 32 bits floating point and REC2020 → Photoflow - generation of 5 images at 1 EV exposure steps: -1, 0, +1, +2 and +3 → 5 16 bit TIF REC2020

5 - 5 x TIF of 16 bits REC2020 → Gimp → Create masks to highlight / conceal light/noise, embedding them as alpha channels - 5 x 16 bits TIF REC2020 with alpha channels

6 - 5 x 16 bit TIF REC2020 with alpha channels → Enfuse → New dynamic range compression with more noise elimination → 16 bit TIF REC2020

7 - 16 bit TIF REC2020 → Darktable - various final adjustments (toning, curves, noise reduction, wb, exposure, local contrast, sharpening) → 8-bit JPG sRGB

First HDRMerge to all then darktable CRW_1594-1600.dng.xmp (3.9 KB)

3 Likes

My attempt using mostly Darktable.

-Applied a style I have for HDR preparation, basically removing the default sharpening and adding Base Curve, Highlight Reconstruction and Lens Correction.
-Denoise (bilateral) with radius 18, red and blue channels at max and green at default. This got rid of most of the noise.
-Copied this across all images.
-Exported all to Enfuse with the ‘pseudo hdr or dff image’ plugin as 16 bit tif.
-On the resulting tif: adjust white balance, Tone Curve for added contrast and Color Contrast for added saturation. Color Zones to boost the reds and blues a bit and Color Correction to reduce a blue cast in the blacks. Crop and Rotate to make the image level.
-Then I had some extra noise reduction in Neat Image (might be considered cheating since it is not open source software?).
-final sharpening in Darktable.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing!
My attempt. I only used 1595, because I’m lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

CRW_1595.DNG.pp3 (10.5 KB)

2 Likes

You might alleviate that burden by posting the input file to Neat Image :slightly_smiling_face:

Now talking serious, I’m really curious at how far you could reduce noise before Neat