[PlayRaw] 3: Phil

Thanks for pointing the horse colorization ! I sorted out that issue by painting a mask for the horse on a BW layer. In RT, for recovering the highlights, I used the LAB tab and LH and HH curves, highlights lowered in residual image tab of Wavelets and also used highlight reconstruction (CIElab blending) in the exposure tab. Here is the new version:

1 Like

Shreedhar

I like your conversion it is very high impact :slight_smile:

The High Vis Jackets on the horse and police lady are very green and are not that shade of glow green in real life :slight_smile:

However it is a play_raw thread and we do whatever we feel is right to create a piece of art :slight_smile:

thanks for your image :slight_smile:

Phil

Thanks Phil, I also want to thank you for the image. The sharpness of the photo is really superb. Here is the last photo after a very short edit in RT. I just selected the colour of the rain jacket by the colour picker and used LH, CH and HH curves in the LAB tab of RT to change the colour from yellow green to green. Is it closer to reality? :slight_smile:

Shreedhar

The high vis jackets are difficult to get right

a quick google search gives lots of high vis jacket pictures , the one below is fairly accurate (given the light etc)

Hope this helps !!!

Smashing results with the b/w horse, really has pop to it.

Thanks @HIRAM !

Hi, here’s my attempt with RawTherapee.
Thanks for the pic!

EDIT: Improved the highlight recovery… (was too quick in uploading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Phil, yeah, it is a difficult colour to match (especially from Bengaluru, India :slight_smile:) I tried to change the colour in GIMP now by using foreground select tool to select the High Vis jacket and then used the colourised module to give it a hue of about 85. I promise that this is my last attempt :grin:

1 Like

Alberto , looks a good edit to me :slight_smile: Nice one

Shreedhar, thanks for the edit, those high vis jackets are the hardest thing to edit :slight_smile:

Still some PlayRaws I did not try …
Here my result with these difficult highlights. Tried for a plain natural look and not something artistic with Darktable only.

Phil_Howcroft-IMG_5591.CR2.xmp (4.8 KB)

3 Likes

I liked the crop that Clad did. It highlighted more what was going on between the guy on the left, the horse and the police office. The rest is just background noise. So croped it. Put a mask over the horse, officer and the guy on the left. Inverted the mask and then softened the background. Making them stand out even more.
I didn’t want to increase saturation or anything because I also liked the “natural” pale and bleak look. Just had to make the background even more pale and bleak. All done in darktable.
Phil_Howcroft-IMG_5591.CR2.xmp (19.9 KB)

2 Likes

I’ve been away for a while and hardly done any photo work since. So
The interface on Rawtherapee has changed a lot so couldn’t do much with it. I updated my entire system so lost the version I am used to. So just developed the file using the Adobe icc file and adjusted the black level and tried to bring the high lights in - reduced exposure. Net effect some space at each end of the histogram. I notice that the blue channel wasn’t too bad so over to the gimp.

Black and white just using the blue channel, Some gradient and curves work with Fotoxx

I prefer it dark. Prior to curves work I used this black and white as a contrast mask in the GIMP

Tried to get the day glow yellow correct but all attempts have failed so far. My monitor currently isn’t calibrated either just adjusted correctly via the first stage when DisplayCAL is used.

John

3 Likes

Nice to see this thread turning up again :grinning:
A difficult edit for sure :grinning:
Thanks everyone for editing my pic. The English football season starts this weekend :grinning:

darktable 2.60
Phil_Howcroft-IMG_5591.CR2.xmp (18,0 Ko)

Oh that tricky fluorescence! Still, I think I managed to get the colors quite all right. There seems to be some green haloing on the bowler hats just above the horse’s hind legs. Not sure where that comes from though…

Phil_Howcroft-IMG_5591.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)
RT 5.5 with color regions to mask and tweak stuff