[PlayRaw] A Small Alpine Autumn Collection

I mean the foggy structure in the lower right part of the following image, which has different character than the rest of the fog. I first thought that it is a finger print at my display, but fingerprints usually do not zoom with the picture on the display, and I don’t think it is the house you are talking about.

@chris Yes, that is why I liked your other post. I didn’t want to make another remark about it but it is there. The bottom right of the patch might be a house but the patch itself looks out of place.

With Filmulator: Highlight recovery 3, exposure comp +1, drama 63, white clipping point 0.6, and saturation +25.

Very nice photos @seume! Noisiness is not necessarily a bad thing. It has given your photos a film look and I like it a lot. Their BW version would be definitely great, too :slight_smile:
In the second photo (DSC00183.ARW) I made some dodging&burning in the foreground to give a bit more dramatic look.

darktable: DSC00217.ARW.xmp (7.7 KB)

darktable: DSC00183.ARW.xmp (11.1 KB)

darktable: DSC00213.ARW.xmp (6.7 KB)

1 Like

@msd: thanks! I inspected your XMP for 217 and am really impressed - loads of sophisticated color settings and three profiled denoise with overall an effect totally eliminating noise, preserving all details and producing a nice grain. After having seen this I will never upload one of my XMPs (revealing how bloody a beginner to postprocessing I am… :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Perhaps a beginner in post processing, but you’ve captured some amazing scenes, and that is most of the battle!

@seume It is still a good idea to release your XMPs to share your process. That is what PlayRaw is about. We learn from each other’s strengths and weaknesses :slight_smile:.

Using #213, color changes and curve tweaking…

4 Likes

Glad you liked it :slight_smile:
Actually we all are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. So, please keep sharing your XMPs!

You are all right (and I just exaggerated a little bit): sharing XMPs and how processing has been done is one of the goals of play_raw.
Uploading…
Uploading…
Uploading…

And in fact - learning and getting inspired is central. As I always keep the original image (aka reality) in mind when postprocessing my personal goal is more to reproduce what I have seen than to be “too” creative (but this is just my focus). But I am very curious what others have in mind or try to achieve when postprocessing. I am also widely satisfied with my personal results (also when printing “fine art prints” - but that will be an other post). It is more a feeling not to make use of the potential of e.g. darktable - but achieving this is “just a learning process” - supported by you XMPs :slight_smile:

I really liked this one:

DSC00418.jpg.out.pp3 (10.8 KB)

1 Like