[PlayRaw] Cataratas de Iguazú

After accidentially dumping half of my photo collection (including backup doh) in an attempt to automate file synchronisation i took some time to revisit old memories and became stuck on one of my favorite shots of 2019’s visit of Cataratas de Iguazu (note: Argentinian side).
Though the main attraction “garganta del diablo” is certainly most impressive, this part of the national park most certainly stood out from an photograpic perspective.

In my attempt i wanted to emphasize the cliffs and rocks and somehow match them with the red colored earth that is present in the province Missiones.
Looking forward to other interpretations. Have fun!

DSC01991.ARW (24.3 MB)

DSC01991_01.ARW.xmp (10.9 KB)

DSC01991_02.ARW.xmp (14.7 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike

10 Likes

Good shot!

DSC01991.ARW.xmp (21.5 KB)

2 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.30

Great photo…beautiful location…

Relative Render

Perceptual Render

DSC01991.ARW.xmp (13.4 KB)

1 Like

I cant tell if there is a difference.

It should be fairly clear that the relative one is more contrasted and a bit darker and the perceptual one can be more revealing in the shadow and less crushed… if you don’t see a difference then I should go back and look…but I think you should be able to see it…what are you viewing them in??

EDIT

At my PC… 2k monitor… 99% sRBG coverage… calibrated workflow…

If I blow up each image into separate tabs… and switch in between them really fast, I could see some minor differences… The waterfall on the right side, you can see more vegetation in the perceptual… but it is not meaningful difference for me.

It varies image to image…for sure but its quite obvious in video … you can see the perceptual one get quite a bit brighter and less contrasted… How bright do you calibrate your monitor??

Its this profile anyway… you could see if you use it and render a few images with each intent if you see a difference within your setup…

sRGB_v4_ICC_preference.icc (59.5 KB)

My version…

DSC01991.ARW.xmp (21.5 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.4.2

DSC01991_03.ARW.xmp (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

DSC01991-3.jpg.out.pp3 (14,4 KB)

3 Likes

My attempt at a natural interpretation.

DSC01991.ARW.xmp (22.1 KB)