[PlayRaw] Dendrobium Orchid

Here is another flower shot. Was looking at Michael Kenna’s photos and noticed heavy vignetting and high contrast in his processing. Thought of giving it a try myself. Processed using Partha’s GIMP Standard and G’MIC Qt filters.

Here is the RAW file, licensed CC by SA.
IMG_3121.CR2 (20.4 MB)

1 Like

Hi @shreedhar, thanks for the shot. Here is my version in DT.

IMG_3121.CR2.xmp (13.5 KB)

1 Like

Darktable IMG_3121.CR2.xmp (9.2 KB)

2 Likes

shreedhar-orchid-IMG_3121

shreedhar-orchid-IMG_3121.CR2.pp3 (11.0 KB)

1 Like

Keeping it vertical and the flower smaller to avoid sharpening blurry stuff in the background and the flower, which seems cut by the plane of focus at the lower left-hand petal.
IMG_3121.CR2.pp3 (10.6 KB)
IMG_3121-2

1 Like

darktable: IMG_3121.CR2.xmp (8.9 KB)

6 Likes

@shreedhar Enjoy how you made the details of the flower pop. Doesn’t look like Michael Kenna’s work though, based on what I saw from the link.

@msd Nicely done. Orchids generally don’t have an imposing presence.

My second attempt to make it look like Michael Kenna’s photos :slight_smile:

darktable: IMG_3121_01.CR2.xmp (8.8 KB)

3 Likes

I had also reached same stage before deciding to select the flower and merge with the color version (at lower opacity).

BTW, here is a cool trick I do to remove holes from a selection. First shrink the selection by x number of pixels and then grow it by same number of pixels. All the holes whose width is less than 2x pixels have now vanished! May be everyone knows about this but thought of mentioning it because it was useful in this picture too…

2 Likes

Hi! Beautiful shot :slight_smile:
IMG_3121.CR2.pp3 (11.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @shreedhar for the chucky-orchild, very cool versioning @all =)

PhF linear and gmic within gimp

IMG_3121_PhF.tif.zip (3.5 KB)

… but how it reaaaally looked (to me), ALL THE TIME!!!

IMG_3121_PhF_gimp16b_Dthing_web

I regret pullling secondaries as (no matter the oceanic bit depth) it ended up showing, always learning =) Other oddities

Cheers

4 Likes

@chroma_ghost I like your “final boss” orchid.

@afre cheers mate :grinning:, here, an acid wet one just 4 ya

ImageMagick_FREDs/plot3D.sh -f 2 -ti "3D Plot" -w 1000 -h 1500 -tl 70 IMG_3121_PhF_gimp16b.jpg afres_plot5.png

2 Likes