[PlayRaw] Everglades

5 Likes

I imagine this must be worlds away from your usual images of mountainous majesty? :smiley:

PC311173.jpg.out.pp3 (10.4 KB)

I was unhappy with the left top sky being too bright with RT processing. SOOO… I did a bit of GIMPing to it. Duplicated the layer, used multiply blend mode. Then using layer mask applied it it only to sky and blurred the sky a bit using Gaussian blurr. Here is the second attempt.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m usually more worried about being attacked by eagles than crocodiles. :smiley:

Nice photo by the way, hardly anything left to process. :slight_smile:

1 Like

PC311173_01.ORF.xmp (8.8 KB)

1 Like

As I think @patdavid and @Jonas_Wagner versions are already perfect I went for a slightly artistic style:

3 Likes

As there are no distracting elements in that picture (like telegraph poles and so on) I tried to simulate an ancient look:

Edit: I forgot to attach the .pp3 file PC311173.ORF.pp3 (9.9 KB)

9 Likes

My Rawtherapee conversion:

And the McGimp edit:

3 Likes

PC311173.ORF.xmp (24.0 KB)

10 Likes

How did you obtain those light burst rays in the “McGimp” version? I feel they’re a little overdone there, but I’d be interested to try a similar effect with less opacity.

The rays are a lighten-only layer of zoom effect blur filter, masked. I was worried it wasn’t strong enough to support the sun behind the tree effect, which was with the dodger in highlights mode.

I like the idea. Here is my “ancient” version… maybe it is a litte too much, but I found that you can use the watermark module in darktable to overlay the image with a texture. If the texture is a bitmap, simply embed it in a svg. The texture used here is: Old Photo Texture by Playingwithbrushes under CC BY

14 Likes

NIce shot, @patdavid
Here’s my try

7 Likes

Here is my first attempt with PhotoFlow… still a bit too dark, but I wanted to turn the grass and trees into almost black silhouettes:

Thanks. :blush: I’ve restricted the effect mostly to the lower grass.

5 Likes

One more try, a bit lighter this time:

.pfi for download here.

4 Likes

I like natural colors and look that I tried to incorporate into my version

11 Likes

1 Like

We have a bit of country like that this side of the Pond - the Norfolk Broads. Big Skies. No 'gators though!!

Using Lightzone again:

I found a letterbox crop was best, leaving the trees (and reflection) centred. Put a Relight region on the Sky to enhance the detail and contrast.

Regards,
Biff

3 Likes

Merci @patdavid 4 the image and all for sharing.
Darkatable, bastag descendant of the traitement_croise and rodachrome_d presets
@mosaster I also like natural colours =)

But the poscard reminded me of

5 Likes