[PlayRaw] Foggy Woods

Now as the winter has started, its starting to get highly foggy around here. Walking around and taking photos in fog is fun (and this process is also helping me in my fear of walking around alone in the woods - side perk of the hobby). This image was taken one of such mornings in New Hampshire.

This is my attempt to process this image.

IMG_2621.CR2 (41.4 MB) IMG_2621_03.CR2.xmp (73.0 KB)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

I tried to reverse dehaze and sharpen to accentuate the fog. Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I am really thankful to this community for your time :slight_smile:

7 Likes

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

Tried to preserve the fog. Unfortunately, the sky is overexposed, what makes development difficult.

This is the first edit on my new laptop. I hope the screen calibration is okay :wink: .

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (19.8 KB)

2 Likes

foggy.woods.cr2.pp3 (16.3 KB)

The blown sky does makes editing a lot harder. I went for a natural look.

@Thomas_Do’s edit looks to be more on point when taking the fog/mist into account.

EDIT: Had some issues with RT when I created the above version which distracted me from the end-result. Here’s a new and in my opinion better version:

foggy.woods.cr2.pp3 (15.9 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_2621.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

Perspective and image rotation, probably overshot the contrast and removed too much mist.

2 Likes

foggy-woods-IMG_2621.CR2.pp3 (11.6 KB)
RawTherapee 5.8

2 Likes

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (24.6 KB) IMG_2621_01.CR2.xmp (64.9 KB)

3 Likes

DT 3.2.1

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (16,1 KB)

1 Like

Here is a RawTherapee+GIMP (a little bit) approach.
IMG_2621.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)

Here is the link to an article that I found to be very interesting.

9 Likes

@newbie, maybe it’s strange, but I like your colors. It has a mystical color graded, cinematic look.

My attempt in darktable 3.2.1.

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (6.4 KB)

4 Likes

IMG_2621-2.jpg.out.pp3 (13,8 KB)

5 Likes

Yes teal and orange cinematic look
Trying to reproduce with ART

2 Likes

I really like the way you’ve accentuated the fog, but the teal you’ve pushed into it is way OTT for me. Would be interested to see a more neutral version, with the fog accentuation intact.

here’s my take, thanks for sharing:

IMG_2621.CR2.xmp (60.1 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. This was the first time playing with fog scenario for me and also, I was trying to figure out ‘softlight’ blend mode to see its effect. Maybe I pushed it a little too much. I gotta learn so many things in post-processing and its been fun … Thanks again !!

Thanks for posting this nice photo, i love autumn colors
DT 3.2.1

IMG_2621_01.CR2.xmp (14.0 KB)

3 Likes

Dave, I noticed you have a long, straight brush running up the trunk of the tree. The way to get that kind of path that I have worked out is to make a short stroke, delete all the nodes but the beginning and the end ones, and then drag one of the end nodes to make the path as long as you want and in the right place. Is that how you do it?

I think I just free-handed it? Doing a quick test just now, the brush seems to have a bit of tolerance for minor wobbles and just gives you a start and end point if its near enough to a straight line.

What do you have smoothing of brush strokes in darkroom settings set on?

I’ve never looked or altered them, so the defaults I presume.