[PlayRaw] Glass with light

OK, this time I propose something a bit unusual.
I happen to be quite a film shooting lover and this one is a scan from the last film I shot. My scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 8200i) offers the chance to save raw files and here’s one for you guys to play.
28.dng (8.3 MB)

The following was developed entirely in darktable (sidecar included).
I have to admit I’m absolutely new of this kind of elaboration. It’s maybe the 3rd picture I develop this way.
Any suggestion, guidance and critic is warmly welcome.
The film is a Ferrania P30.

Edit: sorry, I forgot the sidecar file… here it is: Glass_with_light_bill.dng.xmp (167.1 KB)

By the way, any idea if I can prevent darktable from constantly (after every change) warning me that the color matrix for my scanner hasn’t been found? Does this affect badly the development of the pictuer? Does anybody know if and where I could find color profiles or matrix for my scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 8200i)?

The files (raw, jpg and darktable sidecar file) are licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.

2 Likes

I like black and white; a friend gave me a baby Graphlex, film, developer, and a tank to show my granddaughter how it works. In the meantime, I’ll mess with yours:

You can follow the processing in the ImageDescription EXIF tag: invert with a curve, set the black/whitepoints, crop to suit, added a blue curve to introduce a little “Illford tone”, denoise, then resize/sharpen for display.

I hope no one minds my crops; I do it extensively to mine, looking for different perspectives…

5 Likes

I don’t see any sidecar file. I first tried to invert the negative with the lowpass module’s contrast set to -1 and saturation to 0, but I wound up inverting a tone curve instead, then desaturating. I didn’t want to mess with the film grain, since that’s part of why some people shoot with film. Oh well, here’s what I came up with.

28.dng.xmp (2.6 KB)

3 Likes

Here’s my attempt by inverting the base curve:

Wow, it’s very interesting to see these different takes. Thanks.

Yep, I’m so sorry. I forgot to add it… It should be there now.
And thanks a lot for yours, it’s very interesting to see other processing methods.

Roasted image coming right up.

Haze Removal tool in the dehaze feature branch of RawTherapee. Thanks @agriggio for lifting that over to RT.

28.dng.pp3 (10.4 KB)
Inverted with Negative HaldCLUT.

Darktable & gimp.

2 Likes

I never encountered a scanned negative before and wasn’t sure at all what to do. Looking at your sidecar file I see that there is an invert module. I did a little research and found this.

I really like this approach, it looks so cool!

Could you give any hint on the approach you took?

I’m starting now with this approach. Thus far I always scanned directly to jpeg, mostly to have a quick preview, just to chose which photo to print.
But now I’d really like to explore what can be done with digital tools.
I’ve also started reading through that same topic, it’s a great source of info to start with, thanks :wink:

Sure. I first developed the image with darktable.

The darktable sidecar file is here: 28.dng.xmp (5.4 KB)

I exported a 16 bit Tiff to gimp, converted to grayscale and back to rgb to remove the tint. With the free selection tool I selected the glasses and changed the individual tone curves (red and green) to get something blueish. With the hue-saturation tool I did the final adjustment of hue and saturation. In a similar way I change the color of the drink.
I hope this helps.

darktable: 28.dng.xmp (4.9 KB)

Merci @billznn for neg digit and soup spicin’ contributors RT, invert curve, ever so slightly pinch of warmness. rest, same processing in both variants just reversing tonemapping value and adding waves =)

Smooth version

Tatsuo Suzuki style version (the gritty ones)

28tat.tif.out.pp3.zip (4.1 KB)

Notes
both photoflow and filmulator crashed on import; cheers

2 Likes

@chroma_ghost I like the second one quite a lot :wink:

1 Like

Never tried a playraw and never do anything with cameras, but couldn’t resist. Apologies if the results offend your eyes! Colouring done with g’mic “recolor” filter.
glass_sunglass

3 Likes

Interesting photo @billznn! Used the new Shadows and Highlights dev version of RT5.4 to give a cinematic look. The subtle sepia toning is obtained by reducing the blue tint via adjusting the blue curve in the RGB module.
28.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes