[PlayRaw] Glass with light

OK, this time I propose something a bit unusual.
I happen to be quite a film shooting lover and this one is a scan from the last film I shot. My scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 8200i) offers the chance to save raw files and hereā€™s one for you guys to play.
28.dng (8.3 MB)

The following was developed entirely in darktable (sidecar included).
I have to admit Iā€™m absolutely new of this kind of elaboration. Itā€™s maybe the 3rd picture I develop this way.
Any suggestion, guidance and critic is warmly welcome.
The film is a Ferrania P30.

Edit: sorry, I forgot the sidecar fileā€¦ here it is: Glass_with_light_bill.dng.xmp (167.1 KB)

By the way, any idea if I can prevent darktable from constantly (after every change) warning me that the color matrix for my scanner hasnā€™t been found? Does this affect badly the development of the pictuer? Does anybody know if and where I could find color profiles or matrix for my scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 8200i)?

The files (raw, jpg and darktable sidecar file) are licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.

2 Likes

I like black and white; a friend gave me a baby Graphlex, film, developer, and a tank to show my granddaughter how it works. In the meantime, Iā€™ll mess with yours:

You can follow the processing in the ImageDescription EXIF tag: invert with a curve, set the black/whitepoints, crop to suit, added a blue curve to introduce a little ā€œIllford toneā€, denoise, then resize/sharpen for display.

I hope no one minds my crops; I do it extensively to mine, looking for different perspectivesā€¦

5 Likes

I donā€™t see any sidecar file. I first tried to invert the negative with the lowpass moduleā€™s contrast set to -1 and saturation to 0, but I wound up inverting a tone curve instead, then desaturating. I didnā€™t want to mess with the film grain, since thatā€™s part of why some people shoot with film. Oh well, hereā€™s what I came up with.

28.dng.xmp (2.6 KB)

3 Likes

Hereā€™s my attempt by inverting the base curve:

Wow, itā€™s very interesting to see these different takes. Thanks.

Yep, Iā€™m so sorry. I forgot to add itā€¦ It should be there now.
And thanks a lot for yours, itā€™s very interesting to see other processing methods.

Roasted image coming right up.

Haze Removal tool in the dehaze feature branch of RawTherapee. Thanks @agriggio for lifting that over to RT.

28.dng.pp3 (10.4 KB)
Inverted with Negative HaldCLUT.

Darktable & gimp.

2 Likes

I never encountered a scanned negative before and wasnā€™t sure at all what to do. Looking at your sidecar file I see that there is an invert module. I did a little research and found this.

I really like this approach, it looks so cool!

Could you give any hint on the approach you took?

Iā€™m starting now with this approach. Thus far I always scanned directly to jpeg, mostly to have a quick preview, just to chose which photo to print.
But now Iā€™d really like to explore what can be done with digital tools.
Iā€™ve also started reading through that same topic, itā€™s a great source of info to start with, thanks :wink:

Sure. I first developed the image with darktable.

The darktable sidecar file is here: 28.dng.xmp (5.4 KB)

I exported a 16 bit Tiff to gimp, converted to grayscale and back to rgb to remove the tint. With the free selection tool I selected the glasses and changed the individual tone curves (red and green) to get something blueish. With the hue-saturation tool I did the final adjustment of hue and saturation. In a similar way I change the color of the drink.
I hope this helps.

darktable: 28.dng.xmp (4.9 KB)

Merci @billznn for neg digit and soup spicinā€™ contributors RT, invert curve, ever so slightly pinch of warmness. rest, same processing in both variants just reversing tonemapping value and adding waves =)

Smooth version

Ā 
Tatsuo Suzuki style version (the gritty ones)

28tat.tif.out.pp3.zip (4.1 KB)

Ā 
Notes
both photoflow and filmulator crashed on import; cheers

2 Likes

@chroma_ghost I like the second one quite a lot :wink:

1 Like

Never tried a playraw and never do anything with cameras, but couldnā€™t resist. Apologies if the results offend your eyes! Colouring done with gā€™mic ā€œrecolorā€ filter.
glass_sunglass

3 Likes

Interesting photo @billznn! Used the new Shadows and Highlights dev version of RT5.4 to give a cinematic look. The subtle sepia toning is obtained by reducing the blue tint via adjusting the blue curve in the RGB module.
28.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes